The Best Of The Thesps

Oxbridge alumni dominate the theatre world. And quite rightly.

actor ADC director elitism guardian jobs national theatre Nicholas Hytner plays producer rsc Theatre

Oxbridge doesn’t offer a Drama Tripos. So why, as recently reported in The Guardian, is the world of theatre dominated by Oxbridge graduates? Is it because drama degrees do not equip students with the necessary skills? Or because of an immovable Old Boys’ network?

Well no, not really.  The reason Oxbridge students reach such heights in the theatre world is because of their self-motivation and commitment, which is driven by sheer love of the stage.

Nicholas Hytner: Director of The National Theatre and Tit Hall alumnus 

The many students who get involved with productions in Cambridge – the actors, directors, producers, set designers, and tech people – actually give a crap in order to take part. The opportunity isn’t handed to them on a plate as part of their course requirements. It isn’t a module-passing necessity. It is a choice.

In fact, getting involved with theatre in Cambridge is often more of a hindrance than a help to their everyday studies. It is a commitment that takes over their free time – time that could otherwise be spent draped over unappealing romantic choices in Cindies, or later draped over equally unappealing toilet bowls.

The Guardian described Oxbridge as having a cult of ‘amateurism’. People involved with the Oxbridge student theatre scene have read this as a criticism of the calibre of their productions; but the use of the word ‘cult’ isn’t really an inaccurate choice. We all know that thesps who are in 12 productions a term don’t breathe outside of the ADC bar, and get away with handing in 500 word weekly essays. They are devoted to this lifestyle. They sacrifice things for it, and these are sacrifices that students who are studying a Drama degree simply do not have to make on a daily basis. They associate their free time with getting onto the stage, rather than off it.

Only three of the last nine directors of the RSC and National didn’t attend Oxbridge. This isn’t elitism – this is the rightful reward for drive, commitment and hard work.