The News From The Dark Blues

By on

HAMISH BIRRELL gives us the scoop on what's going down in The Other Place this week. But low salaries and the OUCA's recent action mean it's all doom and gloom.

It’s not been a good week to be an Oxford student.

Everyone’s favourite political society – the Oxford University Conservative Association (OUCA) – have once again managed to attract national media attention to the debauched ongoings at their weekly ‘Port and Policy’ meetings.

Unfortunately, Courtney Love had not graced them with a repeat visit. Instead, a rather inebriated member was filmed singing Dashing through the Reich – which, for those unfamiliar with the ditty, features the charming lyrics “dashing through the Reich / in a black Mercedes Benz / killing lots of kike / ra ta ta ta ta.”

Of course, this is not OUCA’s first brush with notoriety. Just two years ago they were temporarily banned from using Oxford University in their title after a racist joke competition. They’re a truly lovely bunch.

You would have thought the university would be doing all it could to counter such an image, but apparently not. Trinity is the latest college to become caught up in an access scandal, having denied a former student the chance to take her year 11 pupils – from a school with 65% of children on free school meals – to an access event. Trinity is in the bottom five of Oxford colleges when it comes to accepting those from state schools.

Thankfully though, amongst the doom and gloom, some students have decided to take events into their own hands by joining moral philosopher, Toby Ord, in his Giving What We Can campaign. They pledged to donate as much as 10% of their lifetime income to charity. Unfortunately if any of them are English students, this is unlikely to amount to much.

A recent student paper investigation has revealed that English students, graduating since 2009, have the lowest average salary. One Wadhamite studying English responded: “I don’t think it’s really a surprise to anyone, I mean it’s kind of a given that the only real career that an English degree leads onto is alcoholism.

“I can’t imaging there are really a whole load of people studying literature in the hope of scooping up a job at Goldman Sachs. We do it because we’re too lazy to do PPE but not quite lazy enough to do History.”

• GDBO

Is there ever a good week to be an Oxford student?

• Paul Simpson

This is an absolute disgrace when the Uni guarantees a room to all Freshers.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

EXLCUSIVE PICS: James Bond Director Sam Mendes in town for Peterhouse Freshers’ Play

He returned to his old stomping ground of Peterhouse and helped out with the Freshers’ Play

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness