Expert Analysis: Cindies Will Be Saved

By on

Si B gives us his expert analysis on the crisis facing Cambridge's clubs. They may be saved in the short run, but will they transform?

Big Fish Ents’ Managing Director Simon Burdus gives us his expert opinion on the future of Cindies and Life.

It’s official: Luminar, the company who own the most nightclubs in the UK, have gone into administration. And yes, Luminar does own Cindies and Life.

I’ve been in Cambridge for eight years, and Cindies and Life have provided me with so many great nights. I know they aren’t the best clubs in the world but they have a distinct quality that I simply love. It would be terrible to see the two mainstays of Cambridge nightlife disappear from the map.

Thankfully I don’t think this will happen. There are a number of possible scenarios – which one will play out I simply don’t know. But if Ballare and The Place imminently close I’ll eat my own head.

Luminar is in administration, not liquidation. A company in administration is still run like a normal company. The whole business continues to function, as long as it is making money. Luminar makes money as a business – it is just saddled with debts from a previous owner’s tenure. What’s more, Ballare and The Place make money, so I’d be very surprised if the administrators closed the venues.

At the moment Ernst and Young, the appointed administrators, are looking for companies to buy all of the clubs owned by Luminar. The rumours are that one company will buy all the venues in the portfolio. If this comes to pass, it will be as though nothing happened.

Alternatively, if no single company will buy all venues, the most profitable clubs will be sold off. And there is no doubt in my mind that Ballare and The Place would be sold off, since they are two of the highest ranking clubs in the company.

Either way it’s only a matter of time before both clubs find a new owner, and until a new owner is found the clubs are going to carry on as normal.

But my biggest concern is that the new owners will come in and put their own stamp on these clubs. They’ll find them too cramped and too sweaty, and they’ll undoubtedly find the music too cheesy. If they change the clubs too much, even though Ballare and The Place will still be there, we will have lost Cindies and Life.

Big Fish Ents supports The Tab’s campaign to ‘Save Cambridge’s Clubs’ and to preserve them no matter who ends up owning them.

• Felix

I enjoy a carefree and laid-back relationship with the bouncers of Cindies and Life.

• Why

is this under the "Debate" section?

• Charlie Sheen

• Hardly

• Student

In what possible way is this expert analysis?

• Carl

Expert in the sense he runs a night in each! Has sat in on administrator meetings. Who is going to give a better analysis?

• Chump

The Administrator

• mark

"They’ll find them too cramped and too sweaty, and they’ll undoubtedly find the music too cheesy."

god forbid

• lawyer

Mark, as in Mark Elliott? <3

• mark

• Exasperated

And how bloody right they would be – I don't understand how the Cambridge populace is willing to put up with the utter dross they get fed in Cindies/Life/Fez – music- as well as location-wise – and pay silly amounts of money for it…A man with a laptop and windows media player on shuffle is NOT a DJ!

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Police crash Peterhouse JCR Christmas Party after drunk fresher smashes window

They asked people to come forward or they would personally inspect everyone

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By , Chief Reporter on

Confessions: What was your worst Tinder date?

‘He told me he had slept with my ex a few weeks earlier so it was literally a date from hell’

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life