Big-Screen Bedders

A film has been released charting the lives of Cambridge bedders and their “vital contribution” to the Uni.

800th anniversary alex spencer bedder bedders big screen Cambridge catherine seymour Film folk museum gardeners Porter porters Sidney Sussex st. catz

Bedders hit the big-screen last week with the screening of new film Cambridge Bedders.

The documentary was dreamed up for the Uni’s 800th anniversary by producer Catherine Seymour, but it’s taken until now to finish the project. It was premiered last week at the Cambridge Folk Museum, with Trinity bedders given an advance screening.

“I have always been very interested in the relationship between the town and the gown,” Seymour told The Tab.

She said the documentary acknowledges “the vital contribution” that bedders make to colleges.

As we all know, bedders have a significant impact on our lives. Whether you’ve got a chatty nan-type or a stern Eastern European, we’d all be lost if they weren’t there to change our bins and give everything a once over with the hoover.

“Having a bedder is like still having mum around,” said Chris Pilgrim, third year organ scholar at Tit Hall.

Sidney Chaplain Peter Waddell, who helped persuade Seymour to make the film, more diplomatically described Bedders as the “one person you’re not being competitive with.”

Part of Seymour’s inspiration came from a relative who worked as a bedder in Sidney Sussex.

The film, which was partly shot on location at St Catz and King’s, will now be housed in the Folk Museum’s archives.

Seymour’s now plans to make a film about all the domestic staff who work at Cambridge. Could Porter: The Movie be coming to a cinema near you soon? Only time will tell.