Gilmour Gutted As Appeal Rejected

Infamous Cantab Charlie Gilmour must serve the rest of his prison sentence after a judge ruled against his appeal yesterday.

appeal british flag cenotaph charlie gilmour dave gilmour gilmour girton lost prison protests sophie hoare student protests

Charlie Gilmour’s fate has been sealed once and for all, after judges rejected his appeal and ruled that his 16 month prison sentence was not “unduly harsh.” 

Gilmour, a Girton student and step-son of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour, notoriously swung from the British flag on the Cenotaph war memorial during last year’s student protests, and was also caught throwing a bin at a car in the convoy transporting the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

Fight the power – Gilmour at last year’s student protests

Despite his pleas to be let off on the grounds of a traumatic family life, and having been “tranquilised out of my mind” on an alleged cocktail of LSD, Valium and whisky, judges came down hard on the second year historian.

In his trial at Kingston Crown court the judge condemned his “outrageous and deeply offensive behaviour” and justified the controversial sentence on the grounds that Gilmour’s actions were part of “serious mob” disorder and had a dangerous inflammatory character.

Gilmour appears in court with his mother and adopted father

Cambridge students and dons alike have been up in arms about the sentencing. In a letter, the Cambridge Academic Campaign for Higher Education (CACHE) condemned the sentence and said it was: “exceeding a judicious and reasonable punishment for Charlie’s actions.” The “Free Charlie Gilmour” page on Facebook has also received over 700 likes.

Gilmour hoped to have his sentence reduced, but the appeal Judge would not be swayed.

Despite hearing how Gilmour had “successfully reformed and rehabilitated himself” and how he had turned to the drink and drugs only after being rejected by his biological father, the judge refused to reduce his sentence.

His appeal lost, Gilmour will now return to jail, although many expect he will be released in March after serving half his sentence. He may even come out as early next month on home detention curfew. Either way, he won’t be gracing the corridors of Girton anytime soon.