Cambridge Lose Top Dog Status

Cambridge flounders in 6th place on The Times world university rankings, despite coming top in two other league tables.

best university Cambridge heather shand league table Oxford QS world rankings The Other Place Times Times higher education university ranking university ranking table US News

The Times has ranked Cambridge in a shocking sixth place on its World University Rankings, despite last week’s US league tables claiming that Cambridge is the best uni in the world.

To make matters worse, Cambridge was beaten to top spot by four American universities and The Other Place.

Oxford came 4th in the Times Higher Education world university rankings, a whole two places above Cambridge.

See for yourself- The Times‘ top 10

Students from Cambridge have reacted with fury. Papatya Sutcliffe of Corpus Christi, Cambridge, hit out at the result, calling The Times:the lovechild of Rupert Murdoch and the devil.”

She went on to rubbish their verdict: “As the QS world rankings show, Cambridge is and always will be the best university in the world”.

It would seem that The Times are outnumbered, with both the QS rankings and US News asserting Cambridge’s international supremacy.

But the challenge posed by The Times’ league table, published last Thursday, will inevitably add fuel to the burning rivalry between the UK’s two top unis.