Why We Should Celebrate Sainsbury’s Success

By on

Lord Sainsbury is the new Chancellor of Cambridge University and when compared to the other candidates, it is difficult to deny that he deserves this prestigious title.

It’s official: Sainsbury is taking over Cambridge. And no, I don’t mean the supermarket – I mean the Lord. He may not be your first stop for cheap booze and frozen pizza but, as the most deserving candidate for Chancellor, Lord Sainsbury’s triumph is a reason to celebrate.

Lord Sainsbury: ‘delighted and honoured’ by the result

Many students have expressed disappointment at the result. After all the excitement of the first contested election for 164 years, the university’s official candidate won by a mile. But it is difficult to deny that Sainsbury is worthy of his new title, especially when compared to the other candidates:

Brian Blessed. A zealous and hairy Shakespearean veteran, he was the students’ favourite. But, realistically, his campaign for Chancellorship was ridiculous. When asked at the Union how he would improve access, he responded that he didn’t know. I think we can all agree he is more at home in the Globe than in the Senate House.

Michael Mansfield. Fiercely ideological, he agreed to run for Chancellor as he believed he could ‘sow the seeds’ for an agenda change. His aims to ‘embrace the sacred principles of independence and diversity’ were honourable. And for this reason, it is a blessing he didn’t become Chancellor. His passion would be wasted on a purely ceremonial role.

Abdul Arain. Flying the flag for the town, this local shopkeeper was an unexpected candidate. Brave to go for a role that has has previously been held by the Duke of Edinburgh and a string of other dignitaries. Brave… but ultimately stupid.

So, Lord Sainsbury it is. As an alumnus of King’s College he has a strong affiliation with the university, and his generous donations have funded a new research centre for the students.

Who cares if the university ‘reminded’ academics that he was their first choice? The Sainsbury dynasty has delivered everything from three-pound wine to million-pound facilities. And there is no better way to show our appreciation than granting Lord Sainsbury the role of Chancellor.

READ: The full election story here.

• Realist

Since when is not knowing an answer a bad answer? At least he didn't waffle about some indeterminate, unspecified and vague set of policies which he might or might not be able to do, and 'fessed up.

The world would be a better place if when people didn't know something said they didn't know.

• Yeah right..

Yeah, besides Lord Sainsbury's answer to access was…umm…top up fees?

• inconsistent

Brian Blessed: When asked at the Union how he would improve access, he responded that he didn’t know.
    Michael Mansfield: His passion would be wasted on a purely ceremonial role.

… so is it a role that is ceremonial, or not?? make up your mind!

• jon

Why in the world would you call Abdul Arain's candidacy "Brave… but ultimately stupid"? If you're gonna put out a statement like that, how about justifying it? On its own, it makes you look like a tw*t opposing all social mobility. WHAT – a commoner dares aim for the Chancellorship to make a point that is well worth making (ie protecting Mill Road from the likes of Sainsbury's etc.)…why, do tell, is that stupid?

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By , Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Queens’ JCR President announces Bops return with a YouTube Christmas poem

College authorities succumb to the people’s demand for glorified, semi-ironic organised fun

By ,         on

Tab writers: Where are they now?

They were the ones who insisted they’d stop writing when you stopped reading

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Contributing Editor on

Buying drugs used to be dangerous and sexy, now it’s for nerds

If you buy with bitcoin you’re a neek

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By ,         on

How to have sex at a house party

‘Have you seen the rest of the flat? I’ll give you a tour’

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness

By , Argument Editor on

If quoting a film gets them kicked out of uni, it’s no wonder medics aren’t fun

A Leicester medic channelled Liam Neeson and paid a heavy price