Could This Be The Football Blues’ Year?

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

FOOTBALL: RUPERT MERCER finds out what this season holds for the Blues, from football captain Paul Hartley.

The Blues will be hoping for a strong performance this season after missing out on promotion and the Varsity win in previous years.

The Blues’ BUCS campaign will get underway with a visit to Northampton, and after the disappointment of the previous two season’s second place finishes, promotion will surely be at the forefront of the Blues’ minds this year.

Achieving that goal will by no means be easy for Blues skipper Paul Hartley. Competing against Leicester, Bedford and Coventry will make this one of the toughest league campaigns they have faced in the recent past. However, the large number of returning Blues, 12 in all, will make for very healthy competition amongst this year’s squad. The return of two previous Blues captains, Jamie Day and Alex Rutt, will also give Hartley plenty of experience to draw upon.

The league campaign will reach its climax as the 128th Varsity Match draws in. Plans are busily being made behind the scenes to once again have the fixture coincide with the boat race by playing at Fulham’s Craven Cottage. Having out-played, but ultimately lost to Oxford last season and lost out on penalties in 2010, the Blues are desperate to turn the tables this year. The focus will be on combining the passing football of previous campaigns with a newly found ruthless streak.

The Falcons, meanwhile, have had contrasting Varsity fortunes of late with three consecutive Varsity victories. Eight of the victorious 2011 team’s starting XI are returning to Cambridge this year, which not only makes a sustained Falcons league challenge a real possibility but also underlines the strength-in-depth in the University squad. As a result, a sense of optimism is evident throughout CUAFC; a hard earned 1-1 draw for the Blues and an impressive 6-0 victory for the Falcons in the first pre-season games  have served to bolster this belief.

The new season will, ask some tough questions of the Blues after last year’s disappointment but with an intense preseason behind them and a promising first round of trials the camp seems positive this season will be different.

Facebook Twitter
  • Alex Ferguson

Q: Could This Be The Football Blues' Year?

A: probs not

• Steven Gerrard

Q: Could this be "Alex Fergusons" year?

A: No, because he's an uninsightful cunt

• Andy Gray

A female linesman…

• Gaga

Paul Hartley is fucking hot.

• Xavi

I heard their striker's gay.

• Steven Gerrard

Doesn't Rick Totten have a girlfriend?

• iniesta

i've heard rick totten poured his heart out to his 'soulmate' the other night

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Let’s face it, Freshers’ week is overrated.

In all honesty, most of us finish the week with the flu rather than with friends.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By on

Belfast BPOC: I spent my student loan on a miniature schnauzer

The fluffy little idiot cost £450

By , Nottingham News Editor of The Tab on

Nottingham Second years left homeless after tumble dryer fire destroys their kitchen

They might have to go back to Broadgate

By , Sheffield Editor of The Tab on

Sheffield Fresher stabbed in Viper Rooms on his birthday

A man has been charged

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Tatler’s guide to Durham underestimates how posh we really are

My father will be hearing about this