Johnathan Zemlik

The Tab's very own fresher columnist JOHNATHAN ZEMLIK talks about what we've all got in common: a feeling of inadequacy.

Before I arrived, I thought Cambridge would be full of Dukes and millionaires quaffing champagne and laughing at my Northern accent. I was absolutely certain I wouldn’t fit in.

But after Freshers’ Week drinks in the master’s lodge, the fears and assumptions that had been occupying my mind over the last few months began to subside as I discovered everyone was pleasant and normal. Or at least as normal as you can be in Cambridge. Let’s face it: if you come up (or down) to Cambridge, you’re obviously not a run of the mill person.

In fact, the only things that unify everyone here are our academic prowess and the lingering doubt that we’re not good enough to be here.

After all the hard work and grief it took to get here, the last thing I felt before climbing into the Landover for the journey down was a feeling of total inadequacy.

When I arrived, the excitement of meeting new people and the pace of the first day shielded me from my doubt. But as I lay awake in the early hours of Monday morning after a booze and sweat bonanza at Cindies and Fez, my doubt resurfaced. I thought of all my friends who had failed to get a place and wondered what the difference was between them and me. As far as I could see, there was none.

And so I took a gamble, and the next day I asked one of the other people on my course about it. He too declared his lingering doubts about his position here. And the more people I talked to, the more I heard the same thing. Solidarity is a sweet medicine.

Although people may act like they know what they’re doing, most don’t. When I meet the stereotypical public school educated southerner from the likes of Westminster and Charterhouse I’m pleasantly surprised to realise they are actually just like me. We share similar experiences, aspirations and interests, and above all, we all feel we shouldn’t be here.

But I can’t help but wonder: if I was smart enough to get into Cambridge, why wasn’t I smart enough to realise the stereotypes are absolute rubbish?

• Impressed

Yes! Best columnist this term.

• Marge/Horan

Darling, if you've only met people from "Westminster and Charterhouse" then you have only met "minor public school boys" not public school boys. Big difference. We OE's are real wankers, completely different to you, and above all feel hugely that we deserve to be here…

• Fellow Corpuscle

Here, here!

• ……………

I can tell you're a fresher. If you still think you have to be clever to get into Cambridge at the end of your course I'll be surprised.

• http://www.cuefc.co.uk/ Sunday

Danger Cindies?

• Honest

Is it just me who thinks this column is boring, obvious and has been done to death?

• Mathew

yes it is just you, go on Jonny lad, interesting tab

• Josh Fry

Yes, great column! I'm sure reading this has put alot of people at ease! And honest, yes it is just you, stop sipping on the haterade!

• Another Northerner

No stereotypes? This lad's blatantly not at John's then.

• Sophie Thorpe

Come from the slums, do you?

• Rustic arms

bell end.

• Jake

Go on JZ, glad you're alright lad x

• Jen

"Let’s face it: if you come up (or down) to Cambridge, you’re obviously not a run of the mill person."

Let's think about this for a minute. Are you honestly saying that every single student at Cambridge is a unique, remarkable and somehow qualitatively different person to those elsewhere? REALLY?

• Old hand

Well, I'd say that anybody attending the best university in the world probably isn't run of the mill…and from my experience no one at Cambridge is run of the mill! Everyone has their little quirks!!

• the critic

for starts it isn't the best university in the world. that is an opinion and i find this a very stereotypical article and not really a related piece of writing.

• Suspicious

Something tells me you don't go to Cambridge…

• the critic

ohhh on the contrary

• ashley turner

Go on JZ ! Nice article 🙂 keep it up ! x

• Cooper

Come on Johnny, you've spelt Land Rover wrong, should you really be at Cambridge?
    Caroline was going on about how she missed you singing the other day! So believe it or not, you're missed in Yorkshire, by some people at least…

• Georgie Rastall

I'll keep reading Johnny! Great stuff 🙂 Missing you! x

• Steve J

Hi Johnny, can I ask if you're not 'rich' as you put it, how do you afford 2 horses? Haha, not that you have to be rich to have horses….

• louis

he is rich lol

• Law

Nice one JZ!!
    Cooper misses you really!!!
    xx

• Northener

Good article, but speaking as a northener in his second year you can expect a little snobbery. Some people do fit the Cambridge stereotype, but not many.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

and

Tab Guide to filling the post-exam void

If you have yet to finish your exams, lol.

Anglia Ruskin and Hughes Hall clash leads to capsize

Rowing is turned on its head – literally.

QUEXIT: Queens’ JCR Call for referendum on CUSU affiliation

QUEXIT joins PEXIT to call for JCR disaffiliation from CUSU

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Made In Chelsea has gone to the dogs

For God’s sake, will you maintain a modicum of decorum?

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’