Twelfth Night

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

LEO PARKER REES finds himself washed up on a shore of mediocrity. Pleasingly, his brother was there too.

Howard Theatre, 7.30pm, 6th – 9th October, £5/£7

Directed by Chloe Mashiter

A shaky few opening scenes, following a late start (admittedly, this did give my stupid plus one time to arrive), made for a disappointing beginning to a production that has had a tour of Japan to hone itself. And Twelfth Night wasn’t honed.

Lines were delivered clumsily and were frequently accompanied by some of the most awkwardly semaphorical hand gestures ever to have caused distraction in theatre – particularly noticeable in Max Levine’s Orsino, but common enough to seem almost like a deliberate, weirdly misjudged, directorial decision. The cast’s overall energy seemed low, and aside from a great performance from Sam Sloman (whose Feste was as funny as I’ve ever seen a man with a ukulele be) things didn’t look promising.

The evening was brought to life, however, with the entrance of Sir Toby Belch, played with a wonderful campness by Andrew Brock. Like a Disney Uncle Monty, he (like Feste) showed a great combination of acting talent and demonstrated the production’s overall directorial creativity.

Joshua Stamp-Simon’s Andrew Aguecheek, while less originally imagined, was brilliantly performed, and their scenes together were consistently entertaining. My only criticism would be that Sir Toby in particular seemed to lack a character arc. The only noticeable change in his drunkenness was that signposted by a costume change,  and by the end of the play his character hadn’t progressed to anything new. Brock gave the impression of a man who had stolen the show on better nights, and his ability was obvious, but I suspect that the repetitive nature of the Japan tour may have led to him losing some of the complexity that the character should involve.

Genevieve Gaunt deserves special mention for a very impressive performance as Olivia. She brought out the humour of the role, and her status was clear in a way that Orsino’s sadly was not. The pair were a microcosm of the evening as a whole; a classic ‘mixed bag’, but one where the acting pros more than made up for the various cons.

The set somehow managed, in spite of its sparseness, to become a clumsy intrusion, but the cast worked well together, their energy improving as the show went on. The brightness of the stage was unfortunate, slightly detracting from the overall aesthetic, but the 40’s style was nonetheless effective, and the song-changes well-judged.

Malvolio, it must be said, made fairly little impression. For a character so full of potential he seemed a little flat, and while Danny Rhodes’ performance was solid, he was never captivating in the way that he could have been. With Sir Toby and Feste so interestingly interpreted, it is perhaps a little disappointing that the same creativity was not so apparent in the steward. Both his finding the letter and later imprisonment were pretty prosaic, but this wasn’t much of a problem for the show.

Not every decision needs to be ground-breaking, and not every character needs to be show-stealing, for a play to entertain. Enough had been done by cast and director both to ensure that this was a good performance, from a group I’m sure did us proud in Japan. Go and see it while you can, it’s for charity and everything.

Facebook Twitter

I believe she had help from members of her drama class at the university. One of my friends was helping as a fangirl or something.

• blazeit-woidymAN

queens lecturers truly pushing the boundaries of science

Heard something on campus?

By on

Cambridge’s most obscure societies*

We went beyond the clichéd ones (Tiddlywinks, anyone?) to find Cambridge’s most obscure societies. *(AKA ones that are a tiny bit niche and were also willing to speak to us. Which was not that many.)

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Louise Mensch: “I’m a feminist and I don’t give a fuck what you say”

“There are no safe spaces when I’m around.”

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return