Jacobi And Fry Join The Blessed Bandwagon

Celebrity alumni Derek Jacobi and Stephen Fry have thrown their weight behind Brian Blessed in the race for Chancellor.

Celebrity thesp alumni Derek Jacobi and Stephen Fry have thrown their weight behind Brian Blessed’s grassroots campaign for Chancellorship of the university.

Speaking at John’s Jacobi said: “Brian would make a stunning Chancellor; absolutely wonderful. I do hope he gets in.”

Jacobi, who studies at John’s, starred with Blessed in the critically-acclaimed TV adaptation of I, Claudius and were both members of the Birmingham Repertory Theatre in the ’60s. Jacobi has since gone on to be very wrong about Shakespeare.

A few days previously, Stephen Fry plugged the booming nominee on his Twitter page, which boasts around 3.2 million followers. Getting noticed and tweeted by Fry, once the most-followed user on Twitter, is something of a PR coup, and grabbed the Blessed campaign 12,000 hits on their campaign website after the link.

Fry’s plug

Fry didn’t respond when The Tab asked whether he’d be coming to Cambridge to vote for Blessed himself.

The endorsements come as the race for Chancellorship¬†heats up in its final stage. Competitor Lord Sainsbury recently revealed in an interview that he’s: “Not quite certain why any of the other three are [standing for Chancellor].”

Abdul Arain, local shopkeeper and third nominee, has also stepped up his campaign, releasing promotional posters and campaign videos on YouTube.  This leaves radical lawyer Michael Mansfield the quietest contender so far.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Hp3WAIb7k

Arain on his bid for Chancellorship

All four will address the Cambridge Union Society next week in a series of hustings events, days before the election itself, which take place from 14-15th October.

READ¬†Emily Alldrit’s plea for Blessed to become Chancellor HERE.

@kj_corcoran
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

REVIEW: The Winter’s Tale

Shakespeare returns to the ADC in fine style.

and

REVIEW: Trump’d

This madcap satire is entertaining, but doesn’t entirely live up to its premise

A letter to my Samaritans saviour

It took a stranger on the end of the phone to keep me alive: why Cambridge needs to do more about mental health.

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life

, Assistant Editor

Stop saying you’ll give up things you have no interest in quitting

‘This is the last time I’m drinking, ever’