Jacobi And Fry Join The Blessed Bandwagon

Celebrity alumni Derek Jacobi and Stephen Fry have thrown their weight behind Brian Blessed in the race for Chancellor.

Celebrity thesp alumni Derek Jacobi and Stephen Fry have thrown their weight behind Brian Blessed’s grassroots campaign for Chancellorship of the university.

Speaking at John’s Jacobi said: “Brian would make a stunning Chancellor; absolutely wonderful. I do hope he gets in.”

Jacobi, who studies at John’s, starred with Blessed in the critically-acclaimed TV adaptation of I, Claudius and were both members of the Birmingham Repertory Theatre in the ’60s. Jacobi has since gone on to be very wrong about Shakespeare.

A few days previously, Stephen Fry plugged the booming nominee on his Twitter page, which boasts around 3.2 million followers. Getting noticed and tweeted by Fry, once the most-followed user on Twitter, is something of a PR coup, and grabbed the Blessed campaign 12,000 hits on their campaign website after the link.

Fry’s plug

Fry didn’t respond when The Tab asked whether he’d be coming to Cambridge to vote for Blessed himself.

The endorsements come as the race for Chancellorship¬†heats up in its final stage. Competitor Lord Sainsbury recently revealed in an interview that he’s: “Not quite certain why any of the other three are [standing for Chancellor].”

Abdul Arain, local shopkeeper and third nominee, has also stepped up his campaign, releasing promotional posters and campaign videos on YouTube.  This leaves radical lawyer Michael Mansfield the quietest contender so far.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Hp3WAIb7k

Arain on his bid for Chancellorship

All four will address the Cambridge Union Society next week in a series of hustings events, days before the election itself, which take place from 14-15th October.

READ¬†Emily Alldrit’s plea for Blessed to become Chancellor HERE.

@kj_corcoran
Heard something newsworthy?

Is Cambridge getting a second rugby international?

Jamie Roberts tweeted a suggestion that Australian star David Pocock play for Cambridge.

, Cambridge Editor

Clare May Ball Committee forced into “full ticket recall” after college revolts at ticket blunders

Clare: Not so demure and friendly after all.

BREAKING: Arrests made regarding the recent murder of Giulio Regeni

37 arrests have been made by the Egyptian police force in connection with the killing of Giulio Regeni

, Features Editor

Sorry, but Dogspotting has gone to the dogs

It used to be so pure

, Contributing Editor

Justin Bieber wasn’t actually ‘Sorry’ for what he’d done

The song was about a girl

What your Lent resolution says about you

So you’re giving up chocolate again?

, Contributing Editor

The best football gambler in the world is hiring

His statistical model beats the bookies most weeks

, Chief Reporter

The weirdest things you’re giving up for Lent

ASOS, sex and one guy is even giving up his girlfriend