Jacobi And Fry Join The Blessed Bandwagon

Celebrity alumni Derek Jacobi and Stephen Fry have thrown their weight behind Brian Blessed in the race for Chancellor.

Celebrity thesp alumni Derek Jacobi and Stephen Fry have thrown their weight behind Brian Blessed’s grassroots campaign for Chancellorship of the university.

Speaking at John’s Jacobi said: “Brian would make a stunning Chancellor; absolutely wonderful. I do hope he gets in.”

Jacobi, who studies at John’s, starred with Blessed in the critically-acclaimed TV adaptation of I, Claudius and were both members of the Birmingham Repertory Theatre in the ’60s. Jacobi has since gone on to be very wrong about Shakespeare.

A few days previously, Stephen Fry plugged the booming nominee on his Twitter page, which boasts around 3.2 million followers. Getting noticed and tweeted by Fry, once the most-followed user on Twitter, is something of a PR coup, and grabbed the Blessed campaign 12,000 hits on their campaign website after the link.

Fry’s plug

Fry didn’t respond when The Tab asked whether he’d be coming to Cambridge to vote for Blessed himself.

The endorsements come as the race for Chancellorship heats up in its final stage. Competitor Lord Sainsbury recently revealed in an interview that he’s: “Not quite certain why any of the other three are [standing for Chancellor].”

Abdul Arain, local shopkeeper and third nominee, has also stepped up his campaign, releasing promotional posters and campaign videos on YouTube.  This leaves radical lawyer Michael Mansfield the quietest contender so far.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Hp3WAIb7k

Arain on his bid for Chancellorship

All four will address the Cambridge Union Society next week in a series of hustings events, days before the election itself, which take place from 14-15th October.

READ Emily Alldrit’s plea for Blessed to become Chancellor HERE.

@kj_corcoran
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Deputy Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: No action taken against NUS or CUCA for breaking referendum rules

Several JCRs are also suspected of rule-breaking

FOOD COLUMN: Ice-Cream Cookie Sandwich

Keep Calm and Carry on Cookie-ing

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: NUS employee breaks referendum rules

Tsk tsk NUS.

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way