PUNT WARS II: Conservators Strike Back

River chiefs are cracking down on illegal punting companies, which will be banned from operating on the Cam next year.

Cambridge Papatya Sutcliffe punt punt wars PUNTING river river cam TCC the cam conservators tour

River chiefs say illegal punting companies will be banned from the Cam from next April.

The crack-down was announced in a bid to end the ongoing ‘punt wars’ before conflict esculates.

The Cam Conservators (TCC), the organization in charge of all river activities, has brought in strict new rules for punting companies and touts. The move follows a recent TCC investigation into 40 illegal Cambridge punting companies, targeting vulnerable and unknowing tourists.

The investigation also dredged up 151 punt-related crimes between 2007 and 2010, including vandalism and fights between rival touts.

This Cam ain’t big enough for the both of us 

With six million tourists visiting the river each year, the stakes are high.

The new rules include a ban on all punting companies operating from Garrett’s Hostel Lane. A ‘river bailiff’ will be employed to uphold the law.

As of next April, a number of companies will lose their license to punt. As it is, licensees are not allowed to have touts more than 100 yards from the river, a rule which is broken daily by touts on King’s Parade.

Nick Maseychik, a licensed operator, said: “There have been 40 boats operating out of Garret Hostel. That doubled over the past year.

“My income has been halved over the past few years because of the punts at Garret Hostel. I am jubilant now they have gone.”

Bridge over troubled waters – future punters will operate only from licensed spots.

Maseychik was the victim of one particularly shocking incident of punt sabotage last year. In another incident, this July an 18-month-old baby had its fingers crushed between two boats on the overcrowded river.

Seasoned punter and Corpus second-year Ingrid Hesselbo, told The Tab: “It’s a good thing trying to regulate the touts because they are annoyingly stupid asking if you are a tourist when you have a pile of books in your arms.

“But really I don’t think it will help much as everything in Cambridge is ad-hoc and illogical. I think it’ll just return to the way it has always been.”

Not all punters have accepted the legislation happily. Doug, of the Memorable Cam Punting Company told The Tab: “Over 60 touts are becoming redundant because of these new rules. In April, we can no longer work because we can’t get a license.

“We’re going to take the Cam Conservators to court. We’re not criminals – why don’t they go after drug dealers instead? I’m just doing my job.”