Hawking Fights Hilton For Cambridge Countryside

Stephen Hawking has enhanced his legendary status - by attempting to stop hotel chain Hilton expanding on the Cambridge countryside.

Cambridge legend Stephen Hawking took to the riverbank recently to protest against plans to expand the city’s Hilton hotel.

Despite being confined to a wheelchair by Motor Neurone Disease, he joined over 30 students and townies for a picnic staged in protest against the plans.

Hilton want to expand their Doubletree Hotel in Granta Place by building an imposing three storey block made up of 31 new rooms and a new leisure centre.

But Hawking leapt to the defence of the city hotspot, which was once frequented by the likes of Charles Darwin and the Bloomsbury group. He expressed concern that the expansion could ruin the picturesque area surrounding Mill Pond.

The Cambridge genius near the contested land (Photo: Cambridge News)

Ruth Lambert, organiser of the protest, said: “All the literati and scientists found it to be an extraordinary green finger into the centre of Cambridge and it’s anathema to have it covered in bling.”

The hotel chain claims they will be able to build the expansion “without detriment to the conservation area,” even though their original plans were for a whopping four-storey building, incorporating 56 new rooms. Thanks to the valiant efforts of campaigners including Professor Hawking, those plans were scrapped, but now it seems the battle is on again.

Hawking is supported by the likes of MP Julian Huppert, who said: “It would be a great shame to spoil the natural beauty of the area.”

And Cambridge students agree. James Eales, a second year classicist who often runs along the river past the hotel in the question, told The Tab that the area: “provides an easy outlet for anyone needing to get away from the hectic Cambridge lifestyle because of its serenity.

“This is why the area is so important not just to students, but to the greats like Stephen Hawking,” he added.

Hawking’s fight for the Cambridge countryside lives up to his title of ‘Britain’s Best Bloke’, as voted in Nuts magazine earlier this year.

• Yogi Bear

I know its been reported elsewhere this week but i thought the 'picnic protest' (pic above?) etc was in July 2010?

or has there been another picnic?

If so, why wasn't I informed? 🙂
    http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home/Stephen-Hawk
    http://swns.com/stephen-hawking-joins-angry-cambr

• Why?

Seriously tab? At least try not to sound like a conversation in the Gardies queue at 2 in the morning. CAMBRIDGE STUDENTS AGREE -> 1 whole quote (your mate who you just found on facebook chat, no doubt). Nuts reference. You've managed to turn what is actually quite a good story into a piece of shit because it's the tab's "style". Come on, grow up. Imagine how exactly the same content could have been written so that it didn't sound like you were an ignorant dick (excepting the Nuts reference).

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Is sex really all that satisfying?

“Coito ergo sum” is a no from me amirite

REVIEW: Butterfly Effect

The flap of this butterfly’s wing doesn’t quite stir up the emotional storm it hopes to, says Jamie P. Robson.

, Deputy Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: Cambridge votes NO to disaffiliation

The referendum failed to pass with the results saying 51.52% of Cantabs voted to stay with the NUS.

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it

Which Made In Chelsea character are you?

Imagine if you were Funda