Clash In Cambridge As Riot Violence Spreads

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

There were arrests and injuries last night as police confronted a gang of youths heading for a Cambridge shopping centre.

Police tackled a gang of youths who were heading for The Grafton centre last night, as rioting and looting threatened to spread to Cambridge.

Cambridgeshire police were first alerted to the group of 30-40 young people at 11.35pm last night. Officers rushed into action, and were able to break the mob up within 20 minutes. Some of the young people were wearing facial coverings.

However, two police suffered injuries after the gang hurled rubbish at police near Midsummer Common. In total, five people were arrested for violent disorder, as the police splintered the group and prevented any attacks on the shopping centre.

The scenes in Cambridge last night were part of a spread of violence across the country, following the rioting and looting that shocked London earlier this week. Besides the capital, Birmingham and Manchester have been worst affected by the violence.

Rioting in London

Responding to the news, Cambridgeshire MEP Richard Howitt said: “I am deeply shocked. Like all peace loving Cambridge residents I am grateful to the police who deserve our full support and praise for getting a difficult situation under control.”

Cambridgeshire Deputy Constable John Feavyour was quick to condemn those involved, both in Cambridge and other areas. He said: “This type of criminal behaviour will not be tolerated and anyone who uses the emerging national issues as an excuse to break the law in the county will be dealt with swiftly and robustly.”

On Monday riot police from Cambridge were called to help in London, as violence in the city became out of control.

Before last night, Cambridge had managed to avoid any copycat violence and police patrols have been increased to try and maintain order across the county.

Facebook Twitter
  • Richard

he's not a European Member of Parliament, he's a Member of the European Parliament.

• snob

Of all the places in Cambridge, the Grafton is the one place that could do with a refit…

• Dulux dog

Maybe we should get some high-class rioters in there with some paint and paint-brushes…

• Anti-Luddite

Oh puh-lease…the demographic of rioters neatly summed up by their choice of target.

Heard something on campus?

By on

The beginning of the end for the NHS?

The NHS is terminally ill. Jeremy Hunt’s latest plans to stretch junior doctors to their mortal limits could send Britain’s national treasure six feet under.

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’