St John’s May Ball

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

ALASDAIR PAL on our highest-ranking ball ever. The first verdict from a reviewer who didn't leave halfway through.

21st June 2011, £150

When I arrived in Cambridge as an impressionable first-year, I came up a week early for some pre-term classes. All of the John’s students, however, were there already; the college had put on their own freshers’ week. I asked someone why. ‘It’s just John’s’, he said, ‘they like to do things differently there.’

Which is an apt way of describing the 500th anniversary, theme very much unclear. No matter: from the gold-embossed programme to the ruthlessly sharp queuing system, John’s was superlative in almost every way.

Drink favourites were present and in abundance. The champagne tent, curiously stuffed behind the pizza ovens in Second Court, was well stocked until daybreak: first with Bellini and Kir Royal, and later, Buck’s Fizz for breakfast. Iced punts filled with beers and cordials kept crowds to a minimum, while two cocktail bars and gin twists from newly-launched distillery Sipsmith gave the ball a refined edge.

The food, however, was ever so slightly more variable. Roast beef from the college kitchens was one of the tastiest things I’ve sampled in May Week, and the hog roast in First Court was gleefully sunk with mead and cider. The greasy fish and chips, however, weren’t quite up to scratch.

Just the sheer scale of the ents is enough to impress: well over 100 acts across eight stages, which unlike most balls, continued up to – and even past – the survivors’ photo. The headliner will always attract the most attention, and questions were asked of the choice of Big Boi – huge in the States, but with a limited UK profile. I’m a huge fan, but it looked like I was in a minority: even OutKast hits ‘Bombs Over Baghdad’ and ‘The Way You Move’ were met with relative silence. Still, it was refreshing to see an international artist put some effort in, rather than just turning up for the cheque. The crowd could really sense it – and he thought he was at ‘St. John’s University’, bless him.

Elsewhere, the usual slew of Footlights past and present complemented Totally Tom in the comedy tent. Erol Alkan and TC tore up the dance tent. Objectivity, however, is impossible: there was simply too much to see. Clean Bandit had a stormer on the Main Stage, and drag show Denim in the Great Hall was a popular choice. Not forgetting the fireworks, of course.

Video courtesy of Izzy Webb

So it really is difficult to fault. But let’s try: there was a distinct lack of punting, and, er, the toilets weren’t very well signposted.

Pedantry, basically. In the garbled post-5am words of a friend of mine: ‘this is about twice as better as Clare, than Clare is than Homerton.’ And as much as I hate to say it, coming from south of the railway bridge, he’s pretty much spot on.

Food and drink:

Value for money:

Wow factor:

Star Attraction: Astonishingly varied ents

Biggest turn-off: Slightly soggy food as the evening progressed

Facebook Twitter
  • Red Boy

Johnsbridge absolutely bossed May Week

• guest

they ran out of everything apart from sparkly by 4 am and most people (lucky who the few) did not know where this was served! not too impressed.

• drunk guest

obviously not looking in the right places. gin and vodka cocktails, beers, champagne cocktails still going at 4. I got so whammed

• Sorry?

Which ball were you at? Maybe it was the triple vodka shot I'd just had, but at 4.30am there were definitely still puntfuls of beer lying around and plenty of cobra on tap.

• Worth it?

Honestly didn't even know about the Champagne tent behind the pizza ovens – didn't get a glass all evening…also only Cobra near the main stage, I had to walk the circular route back to second court to get anything else if I wanted to drink and watch the main stage. And choosing two main acts who are pretty similar to the untrained ear – not great given that I was most exited prior to the ball about the ents. I had a good night – it was a spectacular setting – but would I pay to go? No, probably not.

• George Johnston

I fucked it up.

• Trinity

Still would rather be at Oxford than St Johns….

• Lukas (Wong)

So gutted I was not there. WOULD HAVE CLEANED UP

• Johnian

I think Big Boi is on to something. Lets make "St. John's University" a permanent thing, cambridge wide.

• Uhh…

Not sure why this is described in the tagline as "our highest-ranking Ball ever"… John's missed out on one star in total, as did Trinity. Therefore they were ranked equally…

• umm…

but trinity's shit.

• Johnian101

You missed out Ellafunks! Big Boi was good but I thought that there could be more rock!

• Ain't No Pal of Mine

Wow, did St. John suck this guys dick or what? Good? Yes. As good as AlPal seems to think? Not even close.

• PC-GG

This is just more evidence that you other colleges can't ball on a budget.

• Kingsman

Did you even bother looking at the Kings Affair review?

• This looks terrible

Why does this review not mention that the author and his girlfriend were given a pair of free tickets for helping the committee with 'media work'?

And why does it fail to reflect the widespread concern that John's didn't live up to the hype and wasn't as nice as Magdalene or fun as King's?

Please answer Pal/Editor?

• trufax

neither Magdalene nor King's had happened when this review was written; also these aren't comparative pieces.

• Ball-goer

Amazing ball but literally the same as any other John's ball from previous years bar the dressage show. Big boi was a disappointing and relatively unpopular choice and sadly I would say that out of the 4 Johns and 3 trinity balls i have been to, this year's Trinity ball topped John's and was the best of them all.

The Tab should apologise for over-hyping the ball which whilst mind-blowing was no different to any other year………

• Moose6

Magdalene blew John's out of the water.

The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

By on

LIVEBLOG: The CUSU Freshers Fair 2015

All you need to know

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best Dressed: Freshers’ Fair

The Tab’s Fashion editors, GEORGINA WONG and VICCI NELMES scout out the best dressed students at this year’s Freshers’ Fair.

By on

Introducing: the Tab’s new agony uncle

Niyi Adelakun is here to solve all of your Cambridge problems

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the top Tory students who are set to take over the country

They wear suits to lectures and own framed photos of Margaret Thatcher

By , Chief Reporter on

Drunk student Tory spends £311 on an Uber from Manchester to London

He claims he put in the wrong address

By , Chief Reporter on

Eton had a dubstep society and they ‘tore up filthy sets’ in every meeting

They even spelled it ‘dub step’

By , Chief Reporter on

Diversity Officer charged for racist ‘kill all white men’ Tweet

She also banned white men from an equality event

By , Chief Reporter on

University Challenge sphincter preservation is ‘no laughing matter’

Contestant’s course leader says it’s not funny