Library Nudity “Unacceptable”

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

Students at The Other Place's Worcester College have been blasted by College Librarians for distracting other students with their "Half-Naked Half-Hours."

READ The Tab’s story from earlier today about Cambridge library antics here.

Students at Worcester College, Oxford, have come under fire for spicing up their revision once a week with a “Half-Naked Half-Hour”.

The practice, established in 2009 by a College society known as the Breakfast Club, was branded “a distraction to other readers” and “unacceptable” in an email from librarians, claiming there had been “a number of complaints”.

A typical Half-Naked Half-Hour would see between thirty and forty students stripping down then continuing to work for half an hour between 3pm and 4pm on Wednesdays.

To keep things tasteful, nudity generally does not generally extend below the waist.

No place for nudity – Worcester College Library

A member of the Breakfast Club, speaking to Cherwell, defended the practice on grounds of amusement and practicality:

“Half-naked half hour has long been a tradition at Worcester College as a way of breaking up the monotony of a long day’s revision and using the opportunity to cool down during the hottest periods of the day.”

There are also unsubstantiated rumours of girls removing their bras to mark the the weekly tradition.

The President of the Breakfast Club told Cherwell that the library’s edict against half-naked half hours: “has quite literally left our college in a state of chaos.”

But the Breakfast Club are still going strong, saying: “Beachwear Wednesdays, Suit Up Thursdays and Hat Saturdays have all had remarkable success”

Cambridge libraries don’t host any similar nudity based events, but if LibraryWhispers is anything to go by, Cambridge librarians have much worse to look out for than occasional bare chests:

Facebook Twitter
  • Captain Masturbator

I have many more effective strategies for revision breaks.

• Connoisseur

• Innocent child

like playing solataire on the computer?

• Joseph Fritzl

• ibid

We all like a game of patience, I've played for 29 years.

This amuses me

• Naturist

They may be from oxford but they are on to something …

• What

"The practice, established in 2009…

Half-naked half hour has long been a tradition"

• Sasha Millwood

This "Breakfast Club" has no right to impose its idea of "breaking up the monotony" upon others, particularly in a library, which is supposed to be place of quiet study. If these people must indulge their perverse desire for nudity, they would be well-advised to select a private location (e.g.: one of the student's rooms, with curtains fully closed), such that nobody is forced to endure the spectacle.

If Worcester College is truly in "a state of chaos", that only reflects the general vacuousness, both academic and otherwise, of the other place (of course, it might just be hyperbole or ignorance on the part of the "President"). I would go so far as to suggest that rustication would not be a disproportionate measure to combat any future occurrences of this turpitudinous practice.

• Bantabrigian

Dude… I so hope this is sarcasm, but unfortunately not sure about that…

• The Editor

"Bantabridgian"… "Dude"…

You are a massive loser.

• Bantabrigian

Shhh… Now be a good little boy and crawl back into your cage.

• Go away Sasha

I don't even bother reading Sasha's comments any more, I just thumb them down straight away and then prepare myself for the hideously righteous content.

• Well…

I read this as sarcasm. Then I clicked on his name…

• The Pin Drops

Same. I'd always presumed it was a girl. You can imagine my confusion when I read about horrific facial hair above. General chaos in my head.

• Hazing2

Upcoming Events: Getting kicked in the groin. 1pm. Everyday.

• Thomas Stewart

Sasha I am at Worcester and you are so right amigo!

• Big Name Police

Sasha Millwood is not a big name

• Juan

I am offended that nobody has asked MY opinion. I am a far bigger name.

• But…

Who are you?

• Kindly meant

Sasha mate, hate to tell you this but you are totally doing it wrong. Your attempt to comment seems to involve this:
      Write "Sir:". Look up long words in dictionary. Write comment so serious it seems ironic but actually isn't using all the long words you just learnt. Refuse to learn meaning of irony or humour.
      Most people… don't do this. And the worst thing you do? Use your actual name. The whole point of the internet is you can be a moron and NO ONE KNOWS IT'S YOU! Why not just stop posting your actual name and the website here yeah? And cut the telltale "Sir:". Which is totally sexist by the way.

• Hurpa Durp

I love that the word 'turpitudinous' crops up every time without fail :-)

• Gardener

It means 'alike to turnips'.

• Mmmmm

I am very disappointed to see a lack of illustrative pictures in this article. I feel that I am not entirely informed of what the problem with this library nudity without a physical image to help. Perhaps the tab could arrange for a few pictures to help!

• MmmmmHmmmm

Specifically the occurrences of girls taking off their bras would be good.

• Mmmmm

That was the implication, yes.

• yeah bruv

Someone needs to get nekkid in this library stat.

• Chaff Separator

Sasha Millwood is chaff.

• BBC Millwood

Would also like to draw attention at this stage to his 80 (so far) posts on a BBC news website.

• Pedant

3pm – 4pm is longer than half an hour

• Pedanter

'between' is also different from 'for the entire duration of'

exact timekeeping probably wasn't these guys' top priority

• Ivana Humpalot

what if we want to see the spectacle ?

• Madame Tickle

A fiddle-dee-dee! Rumple pumple!

• Sidneyite

'Sex on the library table when everyone's gone for dinner… yeah!'

I'm telling Alan. He might not be so forthcoming with the squash and biscuits when he hears about your naughtiness.

• kcfan

I love Kieran. World class snogz.

• Sprinkles

Gibson was actually MP for Norwich North – no one on here old enough to remember the by-election after he resigned?

• Pingback: Parajumpers right Hand()

• Pingback: air max 90 pas cher()

• Pingback: where to buy beanie hats()

• Admirer

Does "relationships on a purely functional basis" include fuck buddies?

• Juan sheet

nobody ****** cares

The Tab is a network of 60 university news sites with thousands of student reporters

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Better ways to spend your union membership fee

The Cambridge Union: a place where the paninis are cheap, the ceilings are high and the cost of membership could probably buy you a ranch in Ecuador.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

TONIGHT: The first Turf of term!

You deserve a night out after your lectures today.

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Gonville and Knees Up: Caius bop cancelled after raucous night out

Caius’ Freshers’ Bop this Saturday has been cancelled after “a large number of complaints and incidents last night”.

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the top Tory students who are set to take over the country

They wear suits to lectures and own framed photos of Margaret Thatcher

By , Chief Reporter on

Drunk student Tory spends £311 on an Uber from Manchester to London

He claims he put in the wrong address

By , Chief Reporter on

Eton had a dubstep society and they ‘tore up filthy sets’ in every meeting

They even spelled it ‘dub step’

By , Chief Reporter on

Diversity Officer charged for racist ‘kill all white men’ Tweet

She also banned white men from an equality event

By , Chief Reporter on

University Challenge sphincter preservation is ‘no laughing matter’

Contestant’s course leader says it’s not funny