How To Keep Fit In The Library

Want to know how to obtain a first and a six pack at the same time? RUBY CONGJIANG WANG gives us her tips.

With the dreaded E-word looming just around the corner this term, there will be more of us sulkily revising in the college library than ever. Worried your gluteus maximus is sagging under the strain of revision? Fear not, here’s my guide on how to keep fit in the library.

GETTING STARTED

Try to stand up and walk around at least once every thirty minutes, whether it is to get a book or to chat up the fittie you’ve been eyeing across bookshelves. Simply walking and stretching your legs will get freshly oxygenated blood pumping around your body will allow your brain to absorb more information when you sit back down to do more work/procrastinate and check Facebook updates. It’s a win-win situation.

THE NEXT STEP

Here, demonstrated by my two glamorous assistants Shaneil and Tim, are some exercises to get you started. Snazzy sweatbands are, of course, optional.

1. The Prayer Position: Raise your paper-cut arms to the ceiling, stretching as high up as possible, as if you are asking the heavens for a miracle in passing your exams. This may unfortunately be what some of you are already doing…

2. The Frustration-Kick: Place hands either side of your chair, and kick your legs forwards one at a time. It may help if you imagine you are booting that annoying person in your supervision who just seems to know everything.

3. The Lady-Killer: Oh yes. Pump up those guns by doing chair push-ups. It’s as simple as that. This works even better when accompanied by winking saucily at all females walking past and usage of the infamous and fail-proof Joey phrase “How you doin’…”.

4. The Hula-Hoop: Pretend you are Hula-Hooping. Except you’re sitting on a chair. And you don’t actually have a Hula-Hoop. Trust me – it’s not as stupid as it sounds! Twisting your back and spine will allow your whole body to loosen up after extended periods of sitting stiffly upright.

5. Superman/The Plank: A favourite in Yoga. Stretch out your arms and legs whilst lying face-down on your chair. Attention – this position entails a rather sophisticated balancing act, and may therefore be dangerous for those with vertigo or dizziness from over-cramming. You have been warned.

HANDY PROPS

Why not step it up even further? Make use of a library’s abundant supply of props. Grab the nearest Grey’s Anatomy, Collin’s French Dictionary or ridiculous, hefty brick of a book. With each one weighing at least a tonne, a book on each arm is even better than using the heaviest weights you own.

Bookshelves are also extremely useful for all manner of things, including press-ups, climbing… Other suggestions include sit-ups on the tables, star jumps in the computer room, even squats in the Reference-Only section!

FOR THE MORE ADVENTUROUS

The key word here is “silence”. You are of course in a library, and unless you want that crusty old librarian breathing fire down your neck and/or chucking you out, the best thing to do is to keep mum. Stay quiet, and you can do anything you want. Anything.

– Playground games are good break in between Statistics: Hushed hide and seek. Muffled cops and robbers.

– Try a Silent disco. Pop in some iPod earphones, dance and as long as you keep your mouth shut and resist the urge to warble along you’ll be out of trouble. Even sitting at your desk and doing the YMCA will allow you to stretch your arms and back.

Head-banging is cautioned against, however – loss of brain cells may not be the best accompaniment to revision.

• Speaking of fit…

Hi Tab, any danger of a new fit college any time soon? Or, seeing as it's exam term, I'll let you off if you do a 'fit library.'

• Ivy

I laughed so loud for all these wonderful suggestions. I am going to the library now and try out some of the tips myself. Great!

• Lukas Wang

Ruby Congjiang Wang is my sister!

Well done, Ruby! Such a gem!

• brian jacks

chair pushups!!!!!!!!!!

any exercise guru knows they are tricep dips!!

• well balanced

Is this for all those sad acts unable to leave the library this term!

• don't you mean

By well-balanced you mean English first year right?

Or land ec.

• Don't forget

First year historians

• shaneil:

how you doin' gurl

• Dominic Macklin

You can rubby my wang any day

• Prem

Looking FITTT

• Brem

Lookin' FITTTTTTTT

• Pirate

I know a good way to work out in the library – meet me in the stacks.

• T. Urtle

I like the turtle with the bulging bicep in the background.

• library-girl

"crusty old librarian breathing fire" – have you ever met a librarian that matches this stereotype? I would have said they were mostly very helpful and not at all crusty or old. Unfortunately they have to enforce some rules because there's a lack of consideration for others (eating smelly food, listening to music too loud, talking on mobiles, etc).

• Generic reply

I can't thumbs down your comment twice so I thought I'd reply instead.

Heard something newsworthy?

Week Five Blues are getting out of hand

Who knew an analogy for tough times could be so invalidating?

Let’s talk about cancer.

Cancer is real, and it’s time to stop victimising those affected.

A donor has been found for Lara, sister of a Cambridge undergraduate

Lara says in the video, “Very excited to tell you some great news.”

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?

, Chief Reporter

George Galloway: ‘I don’t regret pretending to be a cat on Celebrity Big Brother’

This man wants you to vote for him to be Mayor of London

, Chief Reporter

The king is dead: Spencer Matthews has quit Made in Chelsea

Spenny has followed Caggie into the sunset