Dead Poets

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

AMI JONES takes her own miniature Odyssey to the ADC; but these strange islanders could do with some better lotos-plants. Also, you should read The Odyssey.

ADC Theatre, 25th May, 11pm, £5-6

Who are you? What are you doing? Why are you here? And why on earth would anyone call themselves the “Dead Poets”?

To seek the answers to these perennial questions, I ventured into the cold, unfriendly night and braved the murky waters of the exam-time ADC. The waters were not promising. Clouds of doubt filled the horizon, and every booming thunderclap on the distant shores made me question further.

But on, onwards, friends! Poetry and rap? Well, there might be at least one thing in this strange land worth seeking out, no?

The coast became clearer and clearer, and only then did I realise the true nature of the place I had sought. The plant life was sparse, scrubby. Everything had withered and died months ago, and no fresh greenery had risen to take its place.

The natives stood upon the shore (of which there were only two: Mark Grist and MC Mixy) and greeted me. They welcomed our motley crew with ready smiles, and a sort of bouncy enthusiasm alarmingly akin to that of an inexperienced teenage lover.

The fruits they offered were strange, this poetry and rap. I had sampled both before, but it didn’t seem polite to mention.

“Try them both! They are delicious together! This is the marvellous discovery we have made!”

Well, they seemed keen. I decided to avoid any mention that they were not the first to try it.

But they were odd fruits that the natives offered me. They were sour and bitter.

“But poetry is sweet!” I cried. Where was my scrumptious metaphor, my delectable similes, or even just a smack of imagery?

Maybe I was sampling the wrong fruit. Yes, yes, surely this one was meant to be the rap. But the other fruit proffered me was even more bitter. What was this? Not a poet and a rapper, but a rapper and a slightly worse rapper.

Never mind. Perhaps what I had been expecting was not what was meant to be offered. But then what was? A mildly amusing sort-of two-hander stand-up set, interspersed with these offerings of badly-written novelty poetry. No, comedy rapping. No; rhymes is the only word.

And why offer it? Maybe if the entire thing had rhymed all the way through, or had been genuinely improvised, instead of recounting the glory days of genuinely improvising and then reciting what you did, it would have made sense as a project.

As I dragged my exhausted carcass onto the shores of the ADC bar, I looked back upon my folly. I had hoped, I had dreamed. But never, never again would I dare risk those terrifying shores of exam-term drama. Not for another year, anyway.

Facebook Twitter
  • A Trio of Confusion

I don't understand what this review is supposed to be.

I don't understand why you went without any knowledge of what the show was about

I don't understand how the film Dead Poets' Society passed you by.

• At the same show?

I don't get why you didn't like it. My girlfriend and I thought it was really funny. Their wordplay was great, the story was interesting and they seemed to go down really well.

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By on

REVIEW: Beluga

Flo Best and Ellen McGrath had a whale of a time and surprisingly learned a bit about belugas along the way.

By on

Corpus playroom’s small theatre space lends itself to the intense feeling of claustrophobia in LAUNCH.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’