Exclusive: Chase & Status Headline Downing

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

The Tab can exclusively reveal that drum & bass duo Chase & Status will headline this year's Downing May Ball.

Chase And Status are set to headline Downing’s May Ball, The Tab can exclusively reveal.

The drum & bass duo, who played Cambridge’s Corn Exchange last term, are set to play top of the bill at Downing’s ‘Olympus’ themed May Ball on Tuesday 21st June.

The revelation came after the band accidentally posted the gig on their website, not realising it was meant to be secret. The listing was promptly taken down after Downing’s May Ball Committee complained, but it remained on Google’s Cache.

Google record the band’s gaffe

Dowing’s May Ball President Sophie Wawro said she could neither confirm nor deny the band were booked, but Chase & Status are understood to be in the final stages of negotiations with the college.

The London drum & bass group, whose hits include ‘End Credits’, ‘Blind Faith’ and ‘Let You Go’, have had 3 number ones on the UK Dance Chart and their latest album ‘No More Idols’ was certified Gold after the first week of sales.

On hearing the news ex-Tab columnist and Downing student Louise Ripley Duggan said: “Oh my god! That’s massive, how the fuck did they wrangle that one? Sophie Wawro is a genius!”

2nd year Downing Lawyer Namdi McEwen agreed saying: “That’s ridiculous! That’s awesome! They’re on Radio One’s Big Weekend aren’t they? So for us to get them that’s amazing. ‘Time’ which is on Radio One’s live lounge at the moment is probably my favourite track right now.”

Chase & Status’ hit ‘End Credits’, which reached No. 9 in the charts

Downing, who hold their Ball bi-annually, have a history of hiring top dance acts for their May Ball. Their last Ball in 2009 was headlined by Pendulum with support from Utah Saints.

READ: Jake Alden-Falconer’s interview with Chase & Status HERE.

Facebook Twitter
  • Parsley the lion

Salt N Pepper are headlining at emma

• Frammy Seeman

Against all odds, I chased my salted peanut and got her! our status? L.O.V.E. Hopefully we'll be together till our end credits….

• st johns

• Done my research.

Amnesia, Ibiza, Spain – DJ Set"

"Tuesday 21st June 2011 – Chase and Status DJ Set"

I didn't realise Downing College was relocating to Ibiza for the night. In the event it isn't, the term 'band' used in this article is misleading since Chase and Status will surely have to DJ very early on in the night at Downing before they catch a plane to DJ a late set at Amnesia. How unexciting.

• Disappointed

This is shabby journalism from Grut. I think I speak for the whole of The New York Post when I say I expected better.

• Downer
      • Snappy Snaps

*yawn* Fearne Cotton blurted that on Radio 1 out weeks ago

• Downer

did she say which college he's playing?

• YEAH

sweet! sounds sick.

• I read it too…

They're down as the first band of the night on the Amnesia page…. so could in theory be back for a late slot at Downing…… If they're playing at all….

• optimist

could dj at anytime, a dj set rarely involves the whole band, so could do two dj sets simultaneously

• hrmm

google- the home of all good journalistic leads.

• trin_ball_pres

you wait and see who Trinity has. Chase and Status are nothing compared to her.

• Comeback King

Your ma

• Hint

(It's Janelle Monáe)

• Royalist

Unless it's Pippa Middleton, ain't interested….

• doesn't get it

besides the "badonkadonk", and the body, there is nothing appealing about her, her face is so common, not pretty or beautiful.

• trin_ents

I've been 'slaving 4 u' to try and get a 'stronger' act and I'm pretty sure 'everytime' you'll want 'a piece of her' over Chase and Status

• Mystic

There is not enough Kabbalah in cambridge…

• Sam Spade

I guess if anyone was to turn them down it wouldn't be about the money, money

• Wondering

how much it wold cost to book kanye

• Monetary (G) unit

50 cent

• Ents officer

Over 200K I reckon. Depends what kind of logistics you were looking at. I'd be very surprised if his full live show was less than 200K

• golddigger

Now I ain't sayin he a golddigger
      But he ain't messin with no broke…college

• Meh..

I'd much rather have a good band, Chase and Status are the type of outfit who are constantly playing student nights at campuses up and down the land its not that special to be a headline act

• Homerton

We've got Michael Jackson.

• Vermin

For a May Ball, or any event, the greatest acts in history, can be found

between the lines

– That's Vermin's view.

• Downing

These were our second choice, Navdogs said no

• Artíst

A A L II
    A A L II
    A A A A L II
    A A L II

• bored of crap

Who gives a shit about shitty downing, tell us who's headlining John's already

• felix

fuck eeeet. i'll still be in the lib.

• Also

Orkestra del Sol are playing Emma. They're pretty great

• Pride comes before..

The title of this article is incorrect.

Chase will be headlining Downing.

Status will be headlining Amnesia.

Still, at least there's a half-hearted (literally) DJ set to look forward to!

• lexilover

Bring back Abrams!!

• Observer

Chase or status doing a DJ set to an uninterested crown sounds weak. Let's hope other colleges lift the bar. Johns? Thought so.

• observing what?

who says the crowd are going to be uninterested? 233 people have facebook liked this article so far, so someone's going to enjoy it…

• Raver

Ever tried skanking in a tux?

• Royal Observer

"an uninterested crown"

Downing haven't had much luck with secrecy this year, apparently the Queen is coming as well.

• Felix

I love all kinds of electronic music

• One Witty Cunt

Chase and Status?

More like Chase OVER!

It's funny because Downing were chasing after them for the ball and finally achieved their goal, hence they finished their chase.

• Maybe…

Killers playing St Johns?

• Vermin

Why do pirates get so angry when they don't go to the toilet? Because if they don't have a p they're irate!

That's Vermin's view.

• Terri

I drop a comment whenever I especially enjoy a post on a site or I
    have something to valuable to contribute to the conversation.
    Usually it’s caused by the passion communicated in the post I browsed. And after this post Exclusive: Chase & Status Headline Downing | The Tab Cambridge. I was actually excited enough to post a thought 😛 I do have a few questions for you if it’s okay.

Could it be simply me or does it seem like a few of these
    remarks look like left by brain dead visitors? 😛 And, if
    you are writing on additional social sites, I would like to follow anything fresh you have to post.
    Could you list every one of all your public pages like your twitter feed,
    Facebook page or linkedin profile?

Also visit my web-site; bancuri cu alinuta

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By on

REVIEW: Beluga

Flo Best and Ellen McGrath had a whale of a time and surprisingly learned a bit about belugas along the way.

By on

Corpus playroom’s small theatre space lends itself to the intense feeling of claustrophobia in LAUNCH.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’