Pietersen’s Cambridge Comeback

England star Kevin Pietersen is set to make his return from injury against Cambridge MCCU next Wednesday.

Blues Cambridge cambridge university cricket cricket fenners injury kevin kp MCCU pietersen return

Cambridge MCCU is set to play against England batsman Kevin Pietersen next Wednesday, in their match against Surrey.

The South African born star told BBC London 94.9 that he’s “targeting the game against Cambridge” to make his return, following a hernia which caused him to return prematurely from the ICC World Cup earlier this year.

The former England Captain recognised that he needs some time at the crease if he is to start in the series against Sri Lanka, which begins on Thursday, 26 May.

The match against Cambridge MCCU, an academy merging the cricketing talent of both Cambridge University and Anglia Ruskin with the aim of exposing young players to the county scene, would provide a good start to his campaign to get back into shape.

If he passes the fitness tests, he will be playing alongside a young Surrey side, as he aims to get some runs on the board after a distinctly average international season.

A globally popular player, in 2009 Pietersen was sold for a then record 1.5million US Dollars in the Indian Premier League, a far cry from the atmosphere he will be facing at Fenners.

Zafar Ansari, Cambridge undergrad and England U19 player, who was awarded a Surrey contract earlier this year, stated that not only is it exciting to play against “one of the best players in the world”, but that it is also a “fantastic learning opportunity” for the Cambridge team to face up to a player with a wealth of experience, not least as a member of a two-time winning Ashes team.

Ansari showed Cambridge’s professionalism by adding that they have to remember Surrey will have 10 other top players, possibly including the “legendary Mark Ramprakash”, which they need to focus on if they are to do themselves justice.

There is no doubt, however, that his wicket would be much prized amongst the Cambridge team; the last competitive ball he faced was in the win in the World Cup match against South Africa in March.

The news of Pietersen’s return has caused excitement for cricket enthusiasts across Cambridge. Parisah Seyed-Safi, the Blues Women’s Cricket Captain, states that he’s an “extremely original and talented batsman”, but that she really wants to watch him because “he’s fit”.

The three-day match starts at Fenner’s, at 11am on Wednesday, 11 May.