Let Them Eat Cake

Fitzbillies’ closure may soon be coming to an end…

chelsea Chris Blencowe Fitzbillies Pembroke Penny Thompson Stephen Fry

Fitzbillies fans rejoice! The three-month long closure of the legendary cake shop may soon be coming to an end.

The much loved bakery, whose world famous Chelsea buns were said to be an irreplaceable part of the average Cambridge student’s diet, was forced to close earlier this year as a result of “difficult economic times.”

Its closure caused widespread shock and outrage among students both past and present, but despite their protests, with support from high profile alumnus Stephen Fry, the shop remained closed… until now.

Rumour has it that the shop’s owners, Pembroke College, have found a buyer, saying it has had: “strong interest from prospective tenants.”

Students are already excited by the sweet news of Fitzbillies return. Ellis Owen, a cake loving second year NatSci, told The Tab: “I am already dreaming of immersing my awesome beard in some awesome Fitzbillies cake!”

The iconic Fitzbillies Chelsea bun, in all its teeth rotting glory, which could be on sale again soon…

The buyer’s identity is still a mystery, but Chris Blencowe, Pembroke’s bursar, said: “We have certainly had strong interest from prospective tenants wanting to trade under that name and in the traditional format. We now need to finalise the contractual arrangements.”

Penny Thompson, Fitzbillies last owner who was in charge when the bakery had to close, is said to be supporting efforts to re-open the shop.

“I wish the new owner all the best for what is a truly wonderful business to be involved in,” Thompson said. “I trust they will preserve what needs to be preserved, as well as bringing in the new ideas that the business clearly needed.”