More Gawking at Hawking

A new portrait of Stephen Hawking has been unveiled in the Maths Department to celebrate his life achievements, adding to the recognition he has already received.

A new portrait of world renowned physicist and international super-lad Stephen Hawking has been put on display in his department to celebrate his life’s work.

The work was recently unveiled in the Department of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics in recognition of Hawking’s outstanding contributions to cosmology in spite of his crippling motor neurone disease.

It has been commissioned by Murray Edwards’ Honorary Fellow and philanthropist Dame Stephanie Shirley, and painted by artist Tai-Shan Schierenberg, some of whose works hang in the National Portrait Gallery.

The artist’s work has been described as “abstract and realist” as well as“edgy and sensitive”, and even “violent and melancholic.

At the unveiling, Shirley said: “I marvel at the sophistication of the science, his deceptively simpler clarity of writing, and his unique achievements against all health odds.” Hawking is reportedly very happy with the portrait.

Hawking’s portrait: from “edgy and sensitive” to “violent and melancholic”

Other members of the department are also happy with the painting. Emanuel Malek, a PhD student, told The Tab: “The portrait of Stephen Hawking is great. I didn’t particularly like the portrait that used to hang there before Stephen’s and we got free booze when it was unveiled: clearly ‘bi-winning.’ ”

This is not the first time Hawking’s inspiring lifelong achievements have been acknowledged. His college, Gonville and Caius, already have a portrait of the great man on display in their hall, and in 2007 named a block of new student accommodation after him.

Perhaps most importantly, Hawking’s status as a massive lad was finally given merit earlier this year, with lads’ mag Nuts giving Hawking the classy title of “British Bloke of the Year” this January.

• Caian

Apparently he's a bugger to paint. Never stops fidgeting.

• Anon

This paper is clearly universally read by dickheads.
      I should know…

• PUNdit

It's incredible he's still life.

• Punslinger

A wheelist masterpiece.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Tab Tries: Craigslist

Craigslist is a strange and magical place. Just in time for May Week, have The Tab found the solution to your pathetically bad love life?

What should your college disaffiliate from?

What should students turn their lack-of-disaffiliation anger towards?

, Assistant Editor

That ‘cube personality test’ everyone is sharing is actually a pickup artist scam

It won’t tell you anything about yourself

, Editor, The Tab Brookes

Rhodes Must Fall founder has received ‘a flow of death threats’

The university had to step in to discuss his health and safety

Your old Beauty and the Beast VHS could be worth £800

Bet you gave it to a charity shop years ago

Brummie is the ugliest accent in the UK

Over 8,000 of you voted in our poll

, Cardiff Editor at The Tab

I asked my friends why they think I’m single

Some were brutal

The NUS black students’ conference have voted to ban prisons

The motion was called ‘Prisons are Obsolete! Abolish Them Now!’