More Gawking at Hawking

By on

A new portrait of Stephen Hawking has been unveiled in the Maths Department to celebrate his life achievements, adding to the recognition he has already received.

A new portrait of world renowned physicist and international super-lad Stephen Hawking has been put on display in his department to celebrate his life’s work.

The work was recently unveiled in the Department of Applied Maths and Theoretical Physics in recognition of Hawking’s outstanding contributions to cosmology in spite of his crippling motor neurone disease.

It has been commissioned by Murray Edwards’ Honorary Fellow and philanthropist Dame Stephanie Shirley, and painted by artist Tai-Shan Schierenberg, some of whose works hang in the National Portrait Gallery.

The artist’s work has been described as “abstract and realist” as well as“edgy and sensitive”, and even “violent and melancholic.

At the unveiling, Shirley said: “I marvel at the sophistication of the science, his deceptively simpler clarity of writing, and his unique achievements against all health odds.” Hawking is reportedly very happy with the portrait.

Hawking’s portrait: from “edgy and sensitive” to “violent and melancholic”

Other members of the department are also happy with the painting. Emanuel Malek, a PhD student, told The Tab: “The portrait of Stephen Hawking is great. I didn’t particularly like the portrait that used to hang there before Stephen’s and we got free booze when it was unveiled: clearly ‘bi-winning.’ ”

This is not the first time Hawking’s inspiring lifelong achievements have been acknowledged. His college, Gonville and Caius, already have a portrait of the great man on display in their hall, and in 2007 named a block of new student accommodation after him.

Perhaps most importantly, Hawking’s status as a massive lad was finally given merit earlier this year, with lads’ mag Nuts giving Hawking the classy title of “British Bloke of the Year” this January.

• Caian

Apparently he's a bugger to paint. Never stops fidgeting.

• Anon

This paper is clearly universally read by dickheads.
      I should know…

• PUNdit

It's incredible he's still life.

• Punslinger

A wheelist masterpiece.

• Ben Dover

yes yes Boss man George

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

REVIEW: And Then There Were Nuns

Lia Johansen-Villanueva was promised cocktails and an evening of laughter. The team behind And Then There Were Nuns delivered, and even threw in a lovely furry hat.

By on

The Love of the Nightingale and violence against women

Fresher director Eva O’Flynn discusses dealing with themes of rape and abuse of women in theatre on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else