Sing When We’re Winning

Cambridge proved their dominance over Oxford once again this weekend, this time in the singing stakes.

Uni a cappella group Cadenza smashed Oxford’s unbeaten streak on their way to becoming Voice Festival UK champions last weekend, as Cambridge once more show their superiority over their Dark Blue rivals.

The May Ball favourites won their regional heat in February, and proceeded to annihilate all competition in Saturday’s final, including groups from St.Andrews, Birmingham, KCL, and the previously undefeated Oxford’s ‘Out of the Blue’.

On top of that, Cadenza bagged extra awards from a celeb judging panel, bringing home the prize for best arrangement for Dominic Johnpillai’s ‘Hurt’. Three members of the group were also lauded for their solo work, with strong performances in MJ’s ‘Thriller’ and Bonnie Tyler’s ‘Holding out for a Hero’.

Cadenza celebrate with their awards

President Jess Ford was proud of the victory, telling The Tab, “As a group we couldn’t get on better and it shines through when we’re on stage together.” Ben Russell was pleased to have trounced Oxford, saying: “They might have been ‘out of the blue’, but we were out of this world.”

A cappella singing is undergoing a current comeback in Cambridge. While Cadenza’s quirky tones are leading the way, there are many groups set up around the uni, with Fitz Barbershop recently playing at the ADC.

And Cadenza member George Lamb was in no doubt as to its popularity, telling The Tab that nobody could “question the masculinity of a capella singing” once they had seen the “virile tenor Martin Kent.”

With Cambridge smashing Oxford in yet another competition, attention turns to the remaining Varsity games, including this year’s boat race next Saturday.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

What should your college disaffiliate from?

What should students turn their lack-of-disaffiliation anger towards?

Clean Bandit to DJ at Jesus May Ball

No place we’d rather be.

, Assistant Editor

Revealed: The worst club in the country

The people have spoken

, Cardiff Editor at The Tab

I asked my friends why they think I’m single

Some were brutal

The NUS black students’ conference have voted to ban prisons

The motion was called ‘Prisons are Obsolete! Abolish Them Now!’

, Features Editor

You can now buy the morning after pill on eBay for £5

But delivery takes up to two weeks

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Made In Chelsea has gone to the dogs

For God’s sake, will you maintain a modicum of decorum?

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks