Sing When We’re Winning

By on

Cambridge proved their dominance over Oxford once again this weekend, this time in the singing stakes.

Uni a cappella group Cadenza smashed Oxford’s unbeaten streak on their way to becoming Voice Festival UK champions last weekend, as Cambridge once more show their superiority over their Dark Blue rivals.

The May Ball favourites won their regional heat in February, and proceeded to annihilate all competition in Saturday’s final, including groups from St.Andrews, Birmingham, KCL, and the previously undefeated Oxford’s ‘Out of the Blue’.

On top of that, Cadenza bagged extra awards from a celeb judging panel, bringing home the prize for best arrangement for Dominic Johnpillai’s ‘Hurt’. Three members of the group were also lauded for their solo work, with strong performances in MJ’s ‘Thriller’ and Bonnie Tyler’s ‘Holding out for a Hero’.

Cadenza celebrate with their awards

President Jess Ford was proud of the victory, telling The Tab, “As a group we couldn’t get on better and it shines through when we’re on stage together.” Ben Russell was pleased to have trounced Oxford, saying: “They might have been ‘out of the blue’, but we were out of this world.”

A cappella singing is undergoing a current comeback in Cambridge. While Cadenza’s quirky tones are leading the way, there are many groups set up around the uni, with Fitz Barbershop recently playing at the ADC.

And Cadenza member George Lamb was in no doubt as to its popularity, telling The Tab that nobody could “question the masculinity of a capella singing” once they had seen the “virile tenor Martin Kent.”

With Cambridge smashing Oxford in yet another competition, attention turns to the remaining Varsity games, including this year’s boat race next Saturday.

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By ,         on

Tab writers: Where are they now?

They were the ones who insisted they’d stop writing when you stopped reading.

By on

REVIEW: 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche

5 lesbians. 1 quiche. What could go wrong? Almost everything, Dani Cugini discovers, in this hilarious play.

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By on

Getting paid for Instagram posts: How easy is it?

Lexi Harvey asks the social media starlets posting their freebies

By , Chief Reporter on

Taking a photo with Eddie Redmayne at work got me sacked

He was fired on his day off from All Saints for meeting his hero

By , Head of Marketing on

Revealed: Nottingham’s Andy Hoe is the best promoter in the UK

He got almost half of the overall vote

By , Deputy Editor on

I wore an ‘I love consent’ t-shirt on a night out

Consent is sexy

By , Contributing Editor on

We’re lying to ourselves about why we take Ketamine

It might be cool but it’s also really stupid