You Will Go To The Ball!

By , Senior Tab reporter on

John's are raffling and auctioning off tickets to their May Ball at its launch party tonight, giving non-Johnians a chance to go.

Ever dreamt about going to the St John’s College May Ball? Well tonight could be one of your only chances to fulfil that dream.

The John’s May Ball committee are auctioning off and raffling tickets at the Ball’s launch party tonight.

Tickets traditionally don’t go on public sale, but the auction of a pair of tickets offers a chance for two non-Johnians to go to the exclusive event.

The organisers are also raffling off the right to buy three pairs of tickets, giving another window of opportunity to non-Johnians. Tickets for the raffle cost just £1.

John’s May Ball is traditionally seen as the best of what May Week has to offer, and Time magazine famously once called it the 7th best party in the world, after the Oscars. This year’s Ball looks set to be one of the best as the College are celebrating their 500th anniversary.

John’s May Ball Entertainment Officer George Johnston told The Tab: “The John’s May Ball has always boasted the best entertainment in Cambridge.

“With the likes of the Scissor Sisters, Calvin Harris and Dizzee Rascal, the May Ball has consistently out-classed its rivals. This year, the 500th anniversary, promises to be the best yet.”

The auction comes in a year when many May Balls have sold out before going on general release. Pembroke, Jesus, Emma and Robinson all sold out and King’s sold out just 15 minutes after going on general release, leaving many disappointed.

The launch party, featuring Truly Medley Deeply, the Gentlemen of St John’s, and a DJ set from Piez, starts at 7.30pm tonight at the Union, but tickets won’t be auctioned off until 10pm.

For those who can’t make the launch party, the committee are also auctioning five pairs of tickets on eBay over Easter. But as it’s a global auction and anyone can bid, the eBay auction could demand more than a student loan can offer.

All proceeds from tonights event, including the auction, will go to Sos Children’s Villages, Chernobyl Children’s Life Line and Each.

• Outside Looking in

'My fuck-off party is better than your fuck-off party'

What a bunch of cunts we all are.

Heard something on campus?

By on

Tab tries: Horoscopes. Again.

Horoscopic advice from astrological wizard Patrick Wilson.

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Tab TV on power: trousers, hair volume and why you should fuck the patriarchy

Alice Pavey out on the mean streets of Cambridge. Sidney St, that is.

By , Sheffield Editor of The Tab on

Sheffield Why the word hun is over

U ok hun

By , Chief Reporter on

Stars of Hollyoaks: Where are they now?

OB even went back to uni

By , Features Editor on

A dieting and exercise app made me relapse into anorexia

Sarah only got better when a therapist finally convinced her to delete it from her phone

By , Tab reporter on

Durham Meet the Instafamous third year who gets paid to go on holiday by ASOS

If you haven’t got a five figure following, who even are you?

By , Chief Reporter on

Meet the stripper who pole dances on the London Underground

She didn’t even clean the poles first

By , Chief Reporter on

If you’re homesick by now, university just isn’t for you

Going home after three weeks? You won’t last three years