You Will Go To The Ball!

John’s are raffling and auctioning off tickets to their May Ball at its launch party tonight, giving non-Johnians a chance to go.

auction calvin harris Dizzee Rascal gentlemen of st john's May Ball raffel st johns Union

Ever dreamt about going to the St John’s College May Ball? Well tonight could be one of your only chances to fulfil that dream.

The John’s May Ball committee are auctioning off and raffling tickets at the Ball’s launch party tonight.

Tickets traditionally don’t go on public sale, but the auction of a pair of tickets offers a chance for two non-Johnians to go to the exclusive event.

The organisers are also raffling off the right to buy three pairs of tickets, giving another window of opportunity to non-Johnians. Tickets for the raffle cost just £1.

John’s May Ball is traditionally seen as the best of what May Week has to offer, and Time magazine famously once called it the 7th best party in the world, after the Oscars. This year’s Ball looks set to be one of the best as the College are celebrating their 500th anniversary.

John’s May Ball Entertainment Officer George Johnston told The Tab: “The John’s May Ball has always boasted the best entertainment in Cambridge.

“With the likes of the Scissor Sisters, Calvin Harris and Dizzee Rascal, the May Ball has consistently out-classed its rivals. This year, the 500th anniversary, promises to be the best yet.”

The auction comes in a year when many May Balls have sold out before going on general release. Pembroke, Jesus, Emma and Robinson all sold out and King’s sold out just 15 minutes after going on general release, leaving many disappointed.

The launch party, featuring Truly Medley Deeply, the Gentlemen of St John’s, and a DJ set from Piez, starts at 7.30pm tonight at the Union, but tickets won’t be auctioned off until 10pm.

For those who can’t make the launch party, the committee are also auctioning five pairs of tickets on eBay over Easter. But as it’s a global auction and anyone can bid, the eBay auction could demand more than a student loan can offer.

All proceeds from tonights event, including the auction, will go to Sos Children’s Villages, Chernobyl Children’s Life Line and Each.