You Will Go To The Ball!

John's are raffling and auctioning off tickets to their May Ball at its launch party tonight, giving non-Johnians a chance to go.

Ever dreamt about going to the St John’s College May Ball? Well tonight could be one of your only chances to fulfil that dream.

The John’s May Ball committee are auctioning off and raffling tickets at the Ball’s launch party tonight.

Tickets traditionally don’t go on public sale, but the auction of a pair of tickets offers a chance for two non-Johnians to go to the exclusive event.

The organisers are also raffling off the right to buy three pairs of tickets, giving another window of opportunity to non-Johnians. Tickets for the raffle cost just £1.

John’s May Ball is traditionally seen as the best of what May Week has to offer, and Time magazine famously once called it the 7th best party in the world, after the Oscars. This year’s Ball looks set to be one of the best as the College are celebrating their 500th anniversary.

John’s May Ball Entertainment Officer George Johnston told The Tab: “The John’s May Ball has always boasted the best entertainment in Cambridge.

“With the likes of the Scissor Sisters, Calvin Harris and Dizzee Rascal, the May Ball has consistently out-classed its rivals. This year, the 500th anniversary, promises to be the best yet.”

The auction comes in a year when many May Balls have sold out before going on general release. Pembroke, Jesus, Emma and Robinson all sold out and King’s sold out just 15 minutes after going on general release, leaving many disappointed.

The launch party, featuring Truly Medley Deeply, the Gentlemen of St John’s, and a DJ set from Piez, starts at 7.30pm tonight at the Union, but tickets won’t be auctioned off until 10pm.

For those who can’t make the launch party, the committee are also auctioning five pairs of tickets on eBay over Easter. But as it’s a global auction and anyone can bid, the eBay auction could demand more than a student loan can offer.

All proceeds from tonights event, including the auction, will go to Sos Children’s Villages, Chernobyl Children’s Life Line and Each.

• Outside Looking in

'My fuck-off party is better than your fuck-off party'

What a bunch of cunts we all are.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Editor, The Tab Cambridge

Dear Cambridge: Don’t leave the NUS, it’s a magnificent institution

Remember everything it’s achieved

, Cambridge Editor

BREAKING: CUSU passes motion for NUS referendum

FINALLY we have an answer.

, Chief Reporter

There’s a petition for the Rhodes Must Fall leader to have his scholarship revoked

It already has more than 27,000 signatures

, National Editor

‘I tore up the rose she’d sent’: The secret stories from your most awkward break-ups

Confessions of relationships that went wrong

How much money do you owe your parents right now?

We asked people how in debt they are to the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’

London now has a halls of residence for grown-ups

It’s exactly as awful as it sounds

Running has pulled me out of my anxiety and misery

I was a miserable wreck until I found my cure

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

There is a campaign to provide sanitary bins in male toilets for trans students

28,000 trans students need our support