Union Lifts Press Ban to Make Elections “Exciting”

Anyone running for a Union position can now launch Facebook campaigns and use any media as the Union tries to pull more voters in.

The Union is allowing online campaigning and has lifted their press ban during elections to try and get more people voting and avoid another ‘Latnergate’.

A motion passed last night by unanimous vote at a Special General Meeting means that anyone running for President can now use Facebook and other media – such as student press – to convince people to vote for them.

Other changes included:

– Imposing lesser punishments for minor offences
– Changing the Easter election to avoid clashing with exams
– Restoring the name of ‘Vice-President’
– Changing the term of office to run from July

Speaking to The Tab, Union President Lauren Davidson is hopeful that the changes will make it a fairer system with more people voting.

She added: “I’m very happy that these changes got passed tonight by unanimous vote. I hope that the new rules will make Union elections more open, exciting, and inclusive.”

The last election caused embarrassment at the Union after controversial candidate Gabriel Latner was fined 40% of his votes and later disqualified on the day for speaking to the student media. Despite this, the second year Petrean still picked up over a quarter of the votes, in a disappointingly low turnout of just 466.

Asked for his verdict on the rule change, Latner said, “Great news. Only cowards and tyrants are afraid of transparent elections. It seems the wave of democracy sweeping the Middle East has finally reached The Union.”

But, with increased attention this term after the national media publicised the porn debate, that The Tab exclusively broke, perhaps lifting the press ban in elections is the latest attempt to try and attract more people in to the uni’s largest society.

Nominations for election close at 6pm tomorrow.

• http://sashamillwood.com/ Sasha Valeri Millwood

Sir:

I would hope that this comes with the caveat of no paid-for adverts, otherwise it would become a question of who has the biggest budget for an election campaign. Then again, there is little to be gained from advertising commercially: indeed it would irritate those of us who, like me, are not in the Union.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

The Cambridge Easter Term Bucket List

Finding the fun in the joyless.

REVIEW: The Winter’s Tale

Shakespeare returns to the ADC in fine style.

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life

, Assistant Editor

Stop saying you’ll give up things you have no interest in quitting

‘This is the last time I’m drinking, ever’