College Cockup Exiles Students

Ten Robinson students will be forced to live a 20 minute cycle away from their college because the college admitted too many students last year.

admissions caius cock up harvey court May Ball MILL LANE Robinson

Robinson students have been angered by their College’s decision to house some students on Mill Road next year, a twenty minute cycle away.

Admissions errors will next year force ten current third year students from Robinson to live in two houses on Romsey Terrace, just off Mill Road, over 1 and a half miles from their college.

The decision was made by college authorities and announced on February 8th after minimal dialogue with students. It goes back on the promise to guarantee on site accommodation for all undergrads made by the college when the ten individuals were prospective applicants.

89 students have signed a petition in protest, claiming that “third year undergraduates are being singled out.”

Graduate students will be offered accommodation within the Robinson campus, whilst 10 students, who as the petition points out are “about to lose many of their friends from their own year in Cambridge”, will be isolated.

Romsey Terrace, the property on Mill Road, was used for Robinson undergraduate accommodation until 2008 when concerns were raised that the average tripos grades of students living there were suffering. Since then the college has been renting the property to other colleges.

An example of properties on Romsey Terrace

Aside from the distance, students are also worried about Romsey Terrace’s high rents. They argue they are unjustified given the properties’ sloping ceilings, shared bathrooms, distance from college, and heating and internet problems.

Caius subsidises the rent of its students who currently live there while Harvey court is under renovation. Binsonites visiting the property were immediately told by a current resident: “Don’t live here.”

But in defence of Romsey Terrace, Nat-scis, Pete Martin and Dan Leaper did mention the “particularly excellent barbecuing facilities the houses boasted”. Stefan Filip added that he hopes that whoever ends up there hosts some banging sausage fests and sizzling spit-roasts, although this has nothing to do with the site’s facilities.

Despite the co-operative nature of the protest the Senior Tutor refused to send a written reply to the petition delivered by students. However, he has made some concessions have recently been made, extending the usual termly leases to nine month leases for no extra charge.

The accommodation cock up is not the only effect of last year’s higher admissions. Last week The Tab revealed that Robinson’s May Ball sold out before making it to general release, partly due to a larger student body.