‘Not So Fast’ Says Clegg

Nick Clegg has told Cambridge and Oxford that it's "not up to them" to decide whether or not they should charge £9,000 tuition fees.

Nick Clegg has told Cambridge and Oxford that it’s “not up to them” to decide whether to charge £9,000 a year tuition fees.

Earlier this week Cambridge announced plans to charge the maximum amount, and Oxford quickly declared similar intentions.

But in an interview with the BBC, Nick Clegg said that it is “not up to them” to decide.

The Uni would have to gain approval from the government in order to up fees to £9,000, and to do this they would have to “dramatically increase” access to poorer students, said Clegg.

If the recommendations of Cambridge’s latest report are adopted then this seem unlikely. Although the report advises fees of £6,000 for those whose families earn less than £25,000, this is still around a £3,000 increase in fees for this earning band.

Furthermore, the report also advises cutting bursaries from the current level of £3,400 to just £1,625.

Clegg is set to publish a guide on how to maintain access despite fee hikes.

The University wouldn’t comment on the issue as they still consulting on what to do following Clegg’s comments.

Heard something newsworthy?

and

The mafia is opening its ranks: FEATURES EDITOR

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

, Cambridge Editor

Tab’s BIGGEST BNOCs: Special Mentions + Top 50

We promise to stop milking this stupid idea after this article. Really.

, Contributing Editor

Quiz: What do these interview questions actually mean?

Tell us your flaws

, Argument Editor

Quiz: What job should you really be doing?

Let’s face it, you need a change of scenery

, Chief Reporter

Leave people who work in recruitment alone

We don’t bite

Everything you’ll understand if you’re a bloke who doesn’t like football

What is an accumulator and how do I get my hands on one?