‘Not So Fast’ Says Clegg

Nick Clegg has told Cambridge and Oxford that it's "not up to them" to decide whether or not they should charge £9,000 tuition fees.

Nick Clegg has told Cambridge and Oxford that it’s “not up to them” to decide whether to charge £9,000 a year tuition fees.

Earlier this week Cambridge announced plans to charge the maximum amount, and Oxford quickly declared similar intentions.

But in an interview with the BBC, Nick Clegg said that it is “not up to them” to decide.

The Uni would have to gain approval from the government in order to up fees to £9,000, and to do this they would have to “dramatically increase” access to poorer students, said Clegg.

If the recommendations of Cambridge’s latest report are adopted then this seem unlikely. Although the report advises fees of £6,000 for those whose families earn less than £25,000, this is still around a £3,000 increase in fees for this earning band.

Furthermore, the report also advises cutting bursaries from the current level of £3,400 to just £1,625.

Clegg is set to publish a guide on how to maintain access despite fee hikes.

The University wouldn’t comment on the issue as they still consulting on what to do following Clegg’s comments.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

REVIEW: The Winter’s Tale

Shakespeare returns to the ADC in fine style.

and

REVIEW: Trump’d

This madcap satire is entertaining, but doesn’t entirely live up to its premise

A letter to my Samaritans saviour

It took a stranger on the end of the phone to keep me alive: why Cambridge needs to do more about mental health.

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life

, Assistant Editor

Stop saying you’ll give up things you have no interest in quitting

‘This is the last time I’m drinking, ever’