‘Not So Fast’ Says Clegg

By on

Nick Clegg has told Cambridge and Oxford that it's "not up to them" to decide whether or not they should charge £9,000 tuition fees.

Nick Clegg has told Cambridge and Oxford that it’s “not up to them” to decide whether to charge £9,000 a year tuition fees.

Earlier this week Cambridge announced plans to charge the maximum amount, and Oxford quickly declared similar intentions.

But in an interview with the BBC, Nick Clegg said that it is “not up to them” to decide.

The Uni would have to gain approval from the government in order to up fees to £9,000, and to do this they would have to “dramatically increase” access to poorer students, said Clegg.

If the recommendations of Cambridge’s latest report are adopted then this seem unlikely. Although the report advises fees of £6,000 for those whose families earn less than £25,000, this is still around a £3,000 increase in fees for this earning band.

Furthermore, the report also advises cutting bursaries from the current level of £3,400 to just £1,625.

Clegg is set to publish a guide on how to maintain access despite fee hikes.

The University wouldn’t comment on the issue as they still consulting on what to do following Clegg’s comments.

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By ,         on

Tab writers: Where are they now?

They were the ones who insisted they’d stop writing when you stopped reading.

By on

REVIEW: 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche

5 lesbians. 1 quiche. What could go wrong? Almost everything, Dani Cugini discovers, in this hilarious play.

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Deputy Editor on

I wore an ‘I love consent’ t-shirt on a night out

Consent is sexy

By on

Loughborough The struggles of being a tall girl

Groups shots are a nightmare

By on

London Where should you live in North London?

We tried to contact South London but the expeditionary team never returned

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it