War And Peas In City Centre

Central point Peas Hill has been named as the 6th worst street for crime in England and Wales, but Inspector Paul Ormerod is not convinced.

City centre hotspot Peas Hill has been branded one of the most dangerous streets in England and Wales, according to new crime maps released by the police today.

In the national survey of crime, Peas Hill, the short street near the Corpus Playroom and the Cambridge Arts Theatre, was deemed the 6th worst in the country, with a whopping 127 reported crimes last December.

The Top 5 Worst Streets For Crime In Cambridge.

Paul Ormerod, Cambridgeshire Constabulary Police Inspector and Safer Neighbourhoods Manager, slammed the survey and questioned its accuracy, stating: “During 2010 there were only eight crimes in Peas Hill, and no crimes during December.”

In a press statement released this morning, Ormerod also claimed that the street only appears so high because the map does not consider nearby areas, such as Market Street, Market Square, and Lion Yard.

The survey results nationwide saw Newgate Street, Newcastle, as having the most anti-social behaviour reported, and Glover’s Court, Preston, as the worst overall, with 152 crimes.

The maps were made available to the public yesterday after police launched their website police.uk.

But the website crashed within hours of launching, after 75,000 people tried to log on to check their areas every minute.

Even if Ormerod is correct, many students may not be surprised to see the centre with such a high crime rate.

Do you still feel safe in the city after seeing these statistics? Do you think the report’s a load of nonsense? Take The Tab’s survey and tell us what you think.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

and

Tab Guide to filling the post-exam void

If you have yet to finish your exams, lol.

Anglia Ruskin and Hughes Hall clash leads to capsize

Rowing is turned on its head – literally.

QUEXIT: Queens’ JCR Call for referendum on CUSU affiliation

QUEXIT joins PEXIT to call for JCR disaffiliation from CUSU

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it