It’s The Final Countdown

Pembroke Fresher Jack Hurst is the bookies favourite to win the Countdown final this Friday.

Pembroke Fresher Jack Hurst is set to star in the Countdown final this Friday – and is the hot favourite to win the series.

The “best thing to come out of Desford” is tipped to win either a 20-volume gold-leafed edition of the Oxford English Dictionary or the runner-up prize of £1,000 cash.

Brainy mathmo Jack breezed through to the last rounds of the daytime TV quiz show after racking up the most points in the show’s 28 year history.

The modest ‘octochamp‘ exclusively told The Tab in October that winning the grand final “all depends on whether I can pull out my A-game.

“I was confident I’d win a couple of shows, but I wasn’t expecting to do as well as I did!” he confessed.

Jack’s performance hit the headlines around the world after he notched up a huge 948 points over eight appearances.

As well as battling his Countdown opponents, Jack also also faced censorship from Channel 4 after his word “shitface” was deemed “unsuitable” for teatime audiences. He instead managed to pick up the points with the word “hardiest” after presenter Rachel Riley discreetly swapped the ‘C’ for an ’R’.

With less than 48 hours to go, the final countdown is on – good luck Jack!

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Cambridge joins Oxford and LSE to create ‘Davos for students’

Keeping up with the Cantabs? It’s called ‘Collegium’ and university societies from the Ivy League to Japan have already signed up

STAFF STRIKE: Gender gaps, pay disputes and cancelled supervisions

Exam term hots up as Cambridge University staff strike over pay disputes.

Hull disaffiliates from the NUS

They join Newcastle and Lincoln who have also decided to disaffiliate.

, Cardiff Editor of The Tab

Facebook was right to remove an advert featuring plus-sized model Tess Holliday

Images of significantly overweight women are as damaging as size zero women

,        

What’s the ugliest accent in the UK?

There are so many unpleasant dialects to choose from

,        

57 per cent of graduates would vote to remain in the EU, says new poll

And 14 per cent support leaving

What not to say to someone with depression

No, they can’t just ‘snap out of it’