Varsity Trip Preview: Part Three

By on

In the final edition of The Tab's three-part preview of VT 2010, we take a quick look at the three artists released so far.

So this is it. You’ve finally made it. Michaelmas and, more importantly, Movember are over and the Varsity Trip is less than a day away.

In light of this frankly monumental achievement, we at The Tab thought we’d dedicate the third part of our preview of VT2010 (parts one and two) to a quick look at some of the artists performing during the week.

DJ Yoda – Blast Off!

A Jedi master in the dark art of turntablism, DJ Yoda was once nominated by Q Magazine as one of the top 10 DJs to see before you die. If that’s not enough on its own to merit a bit of excitement, he also sits on the judging panel for the DMC DJ World Finals. Serious man. After starting out as a Hip-Hop DJ, Yoda moved on to create the ‘bootleg’ style of cut-up, mixing everything from Hip-Hop, Country and Western, Drum’N’Bass and Reggae. Listen closely to what he plays – he’s famous for dropping in the odd unexpected gem. He’s also renowned for A/V shows and DVJ displays – check this slightly bizarre clip out:

Kele Okereke – Final Night Festival

Let’s face it, it’s not always easy to find things to fill those long winter’s evenings. With Bloc Party now on sabbatical, former frontman Kele Okereke has turned his hand to DJing to while away the hours of darkness. Apparently he’s quite good at it as well. He’s opening up on the Final Night and promises to play a mixture of Bloc Party favourites as well as some songs from his solo album (‘The Boxer’). Check out ‘Tenderoni’, his first solo single. It’s probably not what you expected.

Jack Beats – Final Night Festival

Jack Beats is new British house music at its floor-filling best. The brainchild of Plus One (Scratch Perverts) and Beni G (Mixologists), Jack Beats specialise in wobbly bass-lines, edgy acapellas and big breakdowns cut, copied and pasted together to create a distinctive brand of house. Val Thorens is going to love it.

Cliched but still worth a listen if you’ve not heard it already:

If all of this still isn’t good enough for you – there’s one more act to be released on the coaches to the resort tomorrow. Get keen. And don’t forget to check The Tab during VT for coverage of this year’s trip!

• Stoked for Varsity

I love Kele. And Jack Beats set is gonna be super sick, rumour has it it's gonna be the first time that both Jack Beats guys have played live together. But I wonder who the headliner is gonna be? Anyone heard any rumours?

• So excited

Someone on the committee told me it was Jedward

• Typical Tab Comment

It'll be me, cause I'm such a big name.

• boom

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Police crash Peterhouse JCR Christmas Party after drunk fresher smashes window

They asked people to come forward or they would personally inspect everyone

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat