Varsity Trip Preview: Part Three

In the final edition of The Tab's three-part preview of VT 2010, we take a quick look at the three artists released so far.

So this is it. You’ve finally made it. Michaelmas and, more importantly, Movember are over and the Varsity Trip is less than a day away.

In light of this frankly monumental achievement, we at The Tab thought we’d dedicate the third part of our preview of VT2010 (parts one and two) to a quick look at some of the artists performing during the week.

DJ Yoda – Blast Off!

A Jedi master in the dark art of turntablism, DJ Yoda was once nominated by Q Magazine as one of the top 10 DJs to see before you die. If that’s not enough on its own to merit a bit of excitement, he also sits on the judging panel for the DMC DJ World Finals. Serious man. After starting out as a Hip-Hop DJ, Yoda moved on to create the ‘bootleg’ style of cut-up, mixing everything from Hip-Hop, Country and Western, Drum’N’Bass and Reggae. Listen closely to what he plays – he’s famous for dropping in the odd unexpected gem. He’s also renowned for A/V shows and DVJ displays – check this slightly bizarre clip out:

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzzbPq2fK3U&feature=fvst

Kele Okereke – Final Night Festival

Let’s face it, it’s not always easy to find things to fill those long winter’s evenings. With Bloc Party now on sabbatical, former frontman Kele Okereke has turned his hand to DJing to while away the hours of darkness. Apparently he’s quite good at it as well. He’s opening up on the Final Night and promises to play a mixture of Bloc Party favourites as well as some songs from his solo album (‘The Boxer’). Check out ‘Tenderoni’, his first solo single. It’s probably not what you expected.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdQioZHYpvQ&feature=related

Jack Beats – Final Night Festival

Jack Beats is new British house music at its floor-filling best. The brainchild of Plus One (Scratch Perverts) and Beni G (Mixologists), Jack Beats specialise in wobbly bass-lines, edgy acapellas and big breakdowns cut, copied and pasted together to create a distinctive brand of house. Val Thorens is going to love it.

Cliched but still worth a listen if you’ve not heard it already:

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3fh-yZSWoU

If all of this still isn’t good enough for you – there’s one more act to be released on the coaches to the resort tomorrow. Get keen. And don’t forget to check The Tab during VT for coverage of this year’s trip!

@TabCambridge
  • Stoked for Varsity

I love Kele. And Jack Beats set is gonna be super sick, rumour has it it's gonna be the first time that both Jack Beats guys have played live together. But I wonder who the headliner is gonna be? Anyone heard any rumours?

• So excited

Someone on the committee told me it was Jedward

• Typical Tab Comment

It'll be me, cause I'm such a big name.

• boom

STOKED.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

BREAKING: Record breaking turnout for NUS Referendum so far

CUSU Coordinator confirms that DSO referendum turnout exceeded after just one day of voting

The NUS can’t be reformed from within

Do you hate anti-Semitism so much that you want to stay in the NUS and fight against it?

You’re at Cambridge, you know change is slow: Why we must stay affiliated to NUS

I am urging Cambridge students to vote NO to disaffiliation, not because the NUS is perfect, but precisely because it’s not.

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way

,        

The definitive list of all the most annoying people in the world

This is really, really long

,        

The world’s biggest bouncy castle is going to be at Bestival

Yeah, you’ll probably fall off