Former Blue Becomes First Black Player For Scotland

Former Cambridge rugby star Joe Ansbro this weekend became the first black player to represent Scotland, in their 21-17 victory over South Africa.

Blues blues rugby Cambridge Cambridge University Jamie Hood joe ansbro Oxford Rugby The Junction Varsity

Former Blues rugby player Joe Ansbro this weekend became the first black player to represent Scotland, in their 21-17 victory over South Africa.

Ansbro, who won Blues in 2005 and 2006, put in a solid performance in his first match for  Scotland, after Max Evans’ withdrawal allowed him to play.

Joe Ansbro in action against South Africa. Photo: AP

Francois Steyn, one of the world’s best and most complete centres, was Ansbro’s opposite number in the match. However the former Cambridge man did not look overawed, managing to make a few good runs at the South African defence.

Ansbro joined the Northampton Saints Academy in 2006 after the club noticed his impressive performances for Cambridge. He soon became a regular in the number 13 shirt during their season in National Division One, even scoring in the EDF Energy Cup final.

After the match, Ansbro said: “The players around me made me feel very comfortable and that was massive. There was so much communication, we were confident in what we were doing.

“Defensively we conceded a lot of points last week so we were keen to be tight in defence and we’re really pleased with that performance.”

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFuZA0kBAE

Highlights of Scotland vs South Africa

Meanwhile, former Blue and Varsity Match try scorer Jamie Hood (2009)  has been representing Hong Kong at Rugby Sevens at the Asian Games in Guangzhou in China. So far the Hong Kong team has made it through into the quarter final stage.

Jamie Hood in Hong Kong colours