Exclusive: Banned Union Member Running For President

By on

Gabriel Latner, who was last month given a life ban from the Cambridge Union, is now running for the presidency of the institution, The Tab can exclusively reveal.

The student who was given a life ban from the Cambridge Union last month is now running for the presidency of the institution, The Tab can exclusively reveal.

Gabriel Latner, a second year at Peterhouse, was chucked out of the Union after refusing to apologise for comments he made to fellow speaker, Lauren Booth during the “This House believes Israel is a rogue state” debate.

He reportedly told Booth, a prominent journo and Human Rights campaigner, that he was going to “nail you to the fucking wall up there”.

Since the event Latner has had his ban withdrawn and his membership reinstated by the Union Committee.

The Tab can exclusively reveal that Latner plans to run for the Presidency of the Union in Easter term 2011.

Gabriel Latner addresses the Union earlier this term. Photo by Stephen Tordoff.

“I’m a fan of irony”, he told The Tab.

“The Chamber has become a soap-box for unqualified, untalented, D-list celebrities to pontificate.”

“Anyone who thinks we deserve better should vote for me, because my top priority will be improving the debates, and only inviting the best speakers to participate”.

Latner said he hoped he could bring a fresh perspective to the Union.

The Union is like Cripps Court. People on the inside think everything’s fine. But everyone on the outside can tell those buildings are ugly as sin”.

However, Lauren Booth, who is also Tony Blair’s sister-in-law, told The Tab she felt Latner’s standing in the elections was “an insult to the members of the debating union whose own rules he mocked and clearly has no respect for”.

“I would also like to ask James Counsell why he has re-instated this creature when his ban was supposed to stand unless I received an apology for his rude, drunken behaviour”.

Latner did apologise to Booth as part of the terms of his re-instatement, saying, “I spoke in haste, and chose my words poorly”, though only after the deadline set by James Counsell, the Union’s current President, and Booth did not accept the apology.

Counsell told The Tab, “I judged that the victim receiving an apology was of greater importance than sticking to an arbitrary deadline”.

When asked about Latner standing, the Press Secretary for the Union Alex Küng said “The current officership’s role is to ensure the impartiality of elections and to encourage as much participation in our democratic process as possible.”

“As such it would go against out rules to comment on the track records of members standing for election”.

Gabriel Latner will run alongside Francesca Hill, who sits on the current Union Committee, and Christian Gowers in the contest for the Presidency.

All members of the Union can vote in the elections this Friday, from 8am till 8pm, both online and at the Union.

• anon

"When asked about Latner standing, the Press Secretary for the Union Alex King said […]"

*Alex Küng

• Joshi Eichner Herrmann, Editor

• Nailgun

Well, if this isn't an electoral malpractice, I'm not sure what is.

• Anal Speller

Thank you for saving me a job! You know, you'd make a brilliant anal speller…do you want to join my team?

• Rude, but….

…he was a more entertaining speaker than Booth. and a lot of other union guests

• Plagarism!

VARSITYYY stole YOur Article HAH! http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/2919

• Tab Copper

Really? As a Tab Copper stories like this are close to my heart. I will be visiting the Varsity Editor tomorrow to blitz his teeth down his throat.

I know I act like a busy-body on the Tab sometimes but all you guys are like my children on here, I'm only doing my job, whereas Varsity writers are effectively the rapists/murderers/paedophiles of the news scene and I happily take pleasure in bringing justice onto the heartless bastards.

PC TAB

• I'm A Monster Twat

The guy comes across as a bit of an egotistical self-centred dick who cannot keep his anger in check – pressumably he is a keep fanboy of the illegally occupied state of Palestine. …..? Still, Lauren Booth is little better, being the mouthpiece of a particularly vile regime, so my point: screw the pair of them.

• Tab Cop-out

Well that's a first. Usually it's the other way around.

• anon

I wasn't at the Union when he spoke but even if he was a more "entertaining" speaker – strange version of entertainment which involves directing that kind of comment at an opposing speaker, but there you go – but that doesn't make me want to vote for him at all.
          He seems arrogant, offensive and deliberately and negatively confrontational; it looks like his running for president is motivated by spite against the people who wanted to ban him rather than any genuine sense of actually improving the Union for its members – hardly the kind of guy who should put be in charge.

• Hmm?

i'll second that

• Are you kidding me>

That's just ridiculous. Still might vote for him though.

• Rah Rah Lexi

it's all Lexi Abram's fault

• anon

bit old now..

• Tab Copper

That's libellous Rah Rah Lexi. And boring.

1st warning.

No more.

PC Tab

• Factchecker

Christian Gowers isn't on the Union Committee. I think he was Deputy Head of Audio-Visual for a while and has held various minor deputy positions, but never a full position that would entitle him even to sit in on Standing Committee

• Kate Jones

Naaauuuugggghhhhh, not Latner…

A 3-week ban should've been imposed!

• Tab Copper

Kate, I hope the word 'Naaaauuuuggggghhhhh' isn't representing a police siren, as impersonating a Tab Copper is illegal. Pack it in, or I'll slam you into wench prison.

PC Tab

• excellent

gonna go out on a limb here and say i think he'd be a great pres. he obviously isn't going to verbally abuse a speaker again (althought in my opinion she totally deserved it), and a bit of anti establishment would be rather good for the place.

also major lolz at describing that idiot Lauren Booth as a Human Rights activist. for that please read raging anti-Semite, who works for the Iranian state tv channel, actively supporting the supression of freedom of speech in one of the world's most abhorrent regimes.

• Anal Speller

Serious lack of capital letters here…I'm uncomfortable

• Gary Barlow

Whatever he said, whatever he did, he didn't mean it, he just wants to be Back For Good.

• Oscarisamediumhound

Great article!

• excellent

• Hmm?

Gabriel? If not don't post much the same thing twice

• excellent

ah, no, not Gabriel, just little old computerly incompetent me. don't know how to deleeeeete it.
          x excellent

• Poét

The Union is where people go,
            To drink, debate and play.
            But nobody would ever go,
            All the way to Gamblingay

• Raz

Unsurprisingly, Lauren wouldn't accept an apology from a Jew. I'd like to see her banned from entering union premises until she apologise to Gabriel for calling him "this creature", or indeed for demanding that he be moved down the speaking order because he was Jewish.

• Calm Down

Surely it was because the apology itself was vague and insincere, rather than because Latner is Jewish?

• anon

Well doesn't he sound charming…..

• P.S

Also Latner just seems incredibly egotistical and aggressive. The debate aside, it's not ok (and embarrassing for the Union, and Cambridge) to swear at and be aggressive towards a guest speaker. Why anyone would vote for such a temperamental attention-seeker for President is beyond me.

• union sceptic

what you describe seems like THE exact cambridge union type

• Faith Taylor

This is unbelievable! People: do not vote for this guy, he's a maniac! Latner has harassed both the women's campaign and the feminist society; in one incident he actually went so far as to report the society to the London Met because of one member's proposition for a sticker campaign. Putting this man in any position of status or influence within the Union would be a catastrophe for the society.

• Pingback: wholesale cheap Handbags()

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Why do girls love calling each other sluts?

The week 8 ADC late show ‘Girls Like That’ follows a group of girls and explores the toxic, social-media dominated world we grow up in.

By on

Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness