Not A Clegg To Stand On

Nick Clegg has cancelled his talk at the Oxford Union amid accusations that he is too "chicken" to answer students over his stance on tuition fees.

Nick Clegg’s decision to cancel his visit to the Oxford Union on Wednesday has sparked outrage.

The Cantab, who studied at Robinson, pulled out of the event due to what his spokeman called “an unfortunate clash of diary commitments”.

Oxford University Labour Club President, Stephen Bush told Oxford student paper Cherwell: “This proves that not only is Clegg’s tie yellow, his belly is too”.

Many were planning to use the debate as a chance to express frustration at Clegg’s “inaction” over the propsed tuition fee rises.

A group of students spent Wednesday outside the Liberal Democrat offices in chicken suits. Kirsty Bell told The Tab: “we wanted to highlight how Clegg has chickened-out of his pre-election promises”.

Photo: Lauri Saksa

Magnus, a PPS Fresher and Lib Dem activist said “a lot of the criticism Clegg is receiving is unfair given the difficult position he has been put in.”

Others were less kind though, with one Caius second year saying “he’s just what we expected: another politician full of lies.”

The deputy prime minister’s withdrawal is just the latest piece of bad news for the Oxford Union.

Last month an investigation by The Oxford Student revealed how they had paid over the odds for the services of “A-List” speakers including Jodie Marsh, MC Hammer, Romano Prodi and of course Mr Clegg.

They also shelled out £1000 to their student term-card designer and also funded 34 taxi rides for last year’s President between her home and the Union.

Business Secretary, Vince Cable, also cancelled his talk at the Oxford Union earlier this term over “security fears”.

Heard something newsworthy?

In their own words: The cast of Measure for Measure

‘You can often find me being too tactile in the ADC Bar.’

Week Five Blues are getting out of hand

Who knew an analogy for tough times could be so invalidating?

Let’s talk about cancer.

Cancer is real, and it’s time to stop victimising those affected.

, Chief Reporter

Match4Lara: They’ve found a stem cell donor

The Masters student’s family described it as ‘pure relief’

I play Cupid for a dating app

We met a real-life matchmaker for new dating app, Once

, Contributing Editor

How what you watch on Netflix affects your sex life

The science of Netflix and Chill

, Contributing Editor

Just what is ‘dabbing’ and why do footballers keep doing it?

Look at my dab

North London is the best

Stop saying it’s frumpy

, Chief Reporter

Football teams are now signing people who are really good at Fifa

Can you do it on a cold night in Stoke though?