Not A Clegg To Stand On

Nick Clegg has cancelled his talk at the Oxford Union amid accusations that he is too "chicken" to answer students over his stance on tuition fees.

Nick Clegg’s decision to cancel his visit to the Oxford Union on Wednesday has sparked outrage.

The Cantab, who studied at Robinson, pulled out of the event due to what his spokeman called “an unfortunate clash of diary commitments”.

Oxford University Labour Club President, Stephen Bush told Oxford student paper Cherwell: “This proves that not only is Clegg’s tie yellow, his belly is too”.

Many were planning to use the debate as a chance to express frustration at Clegg’s “inaction” over the propsed tuition fee rises.

A group of students spent Wednesday outside the Liberal Democrat offices in chicken suits. Kirsty Bell told The Tab: “we wanted to highlight how Clegg has chickened-out of his pre-election promises”.

Photo: Lauri Saksa

Magnus, a PPS Fresher and Lib Dem activist said “a lot of the criticism Clegg is receiving is unfair given the difficult position he has been put in.”

Others were less kind though, with one Caius second year saying “he’s just what we expected: another politician full of lies.”

The deputy prime minister’s withdrawal is just the latest piece of bad news for the Oxford Union.

Last month an investigation by The Oxford Student revealed how they had paid over the odds for the services of “A-List” speakers including Jodie Marsh, MC Hammer, Romano Prodi and of course Mr Clegg.

They also shelled out £1000 to their student term-card designer and also funded 34 taxi rides for last year’s President between her home and the Union.

Business Secretary, Vince Cable, also cancelled his talk at the Oxford Union earlier this term over “security fears”.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

The NUS can’t be reformed from within

Do you hate anti-Semitism so much that you want to stay in the NUS and fight against it?

You’re at Cambridge, you know change is slow: Why we must stay affiliated to NUS

I am urging Cambridge students to vote NO to disaffiliation, not because the NUS is perfect, but precisely because it’s not.

Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now: My Revision Period In Smiths Tracks

How a jangly 80s indie band perfectly summed up the revision period

, Cardiff Editor of The Tab

Facebook was right to remove an advert featuring plus-sized model Tess Holliday

Images of significantly overweight women are as damaging as size zero women

,        

What’s the ugliest accent in the UK?

There are so many unpleasant dialects to choose from

,        

57 per cent of graduates would vote to remain in the EU, says new poll

And 14 per cent support leaving