Not A Clegg To Stand On

By on

Nick Clegg has cancelled his talk at the Oxford Union amid accusations that he is too "chicken" to answer students over his stance on tuition fees.

Nick Clegg’s decision to cancel his visit to the Oxford Union on Wednesday has sparked outrage.

The Cantab, who studied at Robinson, pulled out of the event due to what his spokeman called “an unfortunate clash of diary commitments”.

Oxford University Labour Club President, Stephen Bush told Oxford student paper Cherwell: “This proves that not only is Clegg’s tie yellow, his belly is too”.

Many were planning to use the debate as a chance to express frustration at Clegg’s “inaction” over the propsed tuition fee rises.

A group of students spent Wednesday outside the Liberal Democrat offices in chicken suits. Kirsty Bell told The Tab: “we wanted to highlight how Clegg has chickened-out of his pre-election promises”.

Photo: Lauri Saksa

Magnus, a PPS Fresher and Lib Dem activist said “a lot of the criticism Clegg is receiving is unfair given the difficult position he has been put in.”

Others were less kind though, with one Caius second year saying “he’s just what we expected: another politician full of lies.”

The deputy prime minister’s withdrawal is just the latest piece of bad news for the Oxford Union.

Last month an investigation by The Oxford Student revealed how they had paid over the odds for the services of “A-List” speakers including Jodie Marsh, MC Hammer, Romano Prodi and of course Mr Clegg.

They also shelled out £1000 to their student term-card designer and also funded 34 taxi rides for last year’s President between her home and the Union.

Business Secretary, Vince Cable, also cancelled his talk at the Oxford Union earlier this term over “security fears”.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

EXLCUSIVE PICS: James Bond Director Sam Mendes in town for Peterhouse Freshers’ Play

He returned to his old stomping ground of Peterhouse and helped out with the Freshers’ Play

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness