Not A Clegg To Stand On

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

Nick Clegg has cancelled his talk at the Oxford Union amid accusations that he is too "chicken" to answer students over his stance on tuition fees.

Nick Clegg’s decision to cancel his visit to the Oxford Union on Wednesday has sparked outrage.

The Cantab, who studied at Robinson, pulled out of the event due to what his spokeman called “an unfortunate clash of diary commitments”.

Oxford University Labour Club President, Stephen Bush told Oxford student paper Cherwell: “This proves that not only is Clegg’s tie yellow, his belly is too”.

Many were planning to use the debate as a chance to express frustration at Clegg’s “inaction” over the propsed tuition fee rises.

A group of students spent Wednesday outside the Liberal Democrat offices in chicken suits. Kirsty Bell told The Tab: “we wanted to highlight how Clegg has chickened-out of his pre-election promises”.

Photo: Lauri Saksa

Magnus, a PPS Fresher and Lib Dem activist said “a lot of the criticism Clegg is receiving is unfair given the difficult position he has been put in.”

Others were less kind though, with one Caius second year saying “he’s just what we expected: another politician full of lies.”

The deputy prime minister’s withdrawal is just the latest piece of bad news for the Oxford Union.

Last month an investigation by The Oxford Student revealed how they had paid over the odds for the services of “A-List” speakers including Jodie Marsh, MC Hammer, Romano Prodi and of course Mr Clegg.

They also shelled out £1000 to their student term-card designer and also funded 34 taxi rides for last year’s President between her home and the Union.

Business Secretary, Vince Cable, also cancelled his talk at the Oxford Union earlier this term over “security fears”.

Facebook Twitter
Heard something on campus?

By on

The beginning of the end for the NHS?

The NHS is terminally ill. Jeremy Hunt’s latest plans to stretch junior doctors to their mortal limits could send Britain’s national treasure six feet under.

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Senior Tab reporter on

An interview with The Footlights

The Tab sits down with tour show director Ken Cheng and performers Adrian Gray, Archie Henderson and Eleanor Colville to talk about freshers, being funny and their new show.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Public school boys should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’