Chase and Status

By on

ALASDAIR PAL: '“IT’S DIZZEE FUCKING RASCAL!"...Except it isn’t...Chase and Status grin behind their samplers like a pair of pasty bookends."

The Junction, 16th November, 7.30.

“Am I alright to play a slow one?”, said the polite young man with the guitar. The crowd – hats low, hoods high – shouted that he couldn’t. “Never mind then”, he muttered, as though he had heard it every night of the tour.

Blues singer Liam Bailey is a strange choice to support Chase and Status – and the audience’s reaction says a lot about music in 2010. Unlike opener Maverick Sabre’s canned, obvious dubstep, replete with pre-recorded backing vocals, Bailey is a musician. He plays with a band, and when the guitars and keys are silent, you can hear the crackle and static of real instruments.

So what is a live performance? The rise of the laptop musician has made it a very difficult question. I love Justice, but no-one could ever call their theatrical shows ‘live’ in a traditional sense. Trentemoller and LCD Soundsystem fare much better.

The stage for Chase and Status looks promising. Cymbals hang from a silver ring for drummer Andy Gangadeen, and when MC Rage and the boys strut on stage and launch into Smash TV, they bring enthusiasm that can’t be found behind a pair of decks.

Saxon goes down equally well: a searing bass line and not much else, but one which characterises everything good about dubstep. During Eastern Jam, as Gangadeen hammers on the toms, Rage parts the crowd for the first time of many, and at the drop the two sides surge toward each other.

We’re promised slew of guest vocalists, and here lies the problem. Songs with sampled hooks can be carried by sheer force, but those with vocals really suffer without the original artist. Plan B is sorely missed on End Credits and Pieces.

“IT’S DIZZEE FUCKING RASCAL!”, shouts Rage during Heavy. Except it isn’t; it’s a badly-synched graphic on a screen. Doing not very much at all, Chase and Status grin behind their samplers like a pair of pasty bookends.

A mixture of mid-teens, and those bald guys with fat necks who inexplicably turn up at gigs, the crowd cannot be faulted for enjoying the popular stuff. But the better moments pass with little recognition. Vocalist Takura delivers a haunting version of Streetlife, but lacking a huge drop, they just aren’t interested.

It’s telling that when Bailey returns to the stage for so-so new single Blind Faith, he gets a much better response. His slinking, sinewy riffs should have been a success, but they can’t compete with anything knocked up on a computer for ferocity.

This show will sell out wherever it goes, but bass heads would do better heading to Spoonfed and pocketing the difference.

• Fredo

way too mainstream for me

• Double Dropped.

Sure, they've got a live drummer, but you should still have treated it like a DJ set. I'm not saying it was worth more than 2.5 stars – Chase and Status have dropped off considerably – but the quality of that set really depended on how mental you went, not on the origin of the sounds.

• ap579

I've seen C&S DJ a couple of times, and they've always gone down really well. But this is advertised as a 'live' performance, with ticket prices to match. The crowd were pretty hyped at the start, but it really began to tell towards the end that a lot of it was pre-recorded. Takura was great though.

• Admiral Gashington

Any top minge down there?

• Comment Judge

I like that.

• Morphy

Clearly, the new building will be more beneficial to the university and its future generations of students than the School of Surveying & Planning would be, not that I consider there to be a connection between the two anyway.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Why do girls love calling each other sluts?

The week 8 ADC late show ‘Girls Like That’ follows a group of girls and explores the toxic, social-media dominated world we grow up in.

By on

Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness