College Football: The Season So Far

As the university's footballers get stuck into Cuppers this weekend, The Tab looks at how the top league is shaping up so far.

As the university’s footballers get stuck into Cuppers this weekend, Liam Conlon looks at how the top league is shaping up so far.

——————————————————————————————-

Trinity and Emma are neck and neck at the summit of college football after the first three matchdays, both having achieved 100 per cent records so far this season.

The Tab’s title tip and last season’s runners-up, Trinity, are looking the team most likely to lift the title with wins over Homerton and Christ’s in their first two games, followed by a 4-0 drilling of Girton. The true test of their title credentials will come next weekend against Downing. 

Emma looked shaky in their narrow 1-0 wins over both Jesus and Caius, but they thumped Catz resoundingly 8-1, and look likely to stay near the top until the business end of the season.

The PWC Division One table.

Jesus and Fitz both suffered culls to their squad and both have had mixed starts, but along with Christ’s look set for upper mid-table finishes this season.

Fitz on the other hand will need to get their kit in order after one of their freshers narrowly avoided being reported after being seen stumbling around their pitches in his y-fronts and a pair of roller-blades.

Downing will be disappointed with their start to the season, and on current form look unlikely to defend their title, with narrow victories over Caius and Catz before a 2-0 defeat to Christ’s.

The two newcomers from the second division, Homerton and Caius, have had distinctly average starts to the season, with Caius in 9th and Homerton in 7th.

At the other end of the table, Girton have made a simply appalling start, with three defeats from three, including a 2-0 defeat to Homerton, and are still yet to score.

Girton’s talismanic midfielder and Tab favourite Lukas Wang blamed Homerton for their poor start: “It’s just not fair really. We had to go to their pitches to play them. That meant booking a minibus and Travelodge so we could stay over the night before. It got everyone down and it affected our performance”.

Girton desperately need a win over Catz this weekend in a match that could prove crucial to both sides come the end of the season.

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxOj5_s_8m0

Tab favourite Lukas Wang

When league matches resume next week, the match to watch will be Downing vs. Trinity. If Trinity can get the better of Downing, they will surely make a huge dent in the champions’ title hopes, whilst 3 points for the home side would throw the whole division wide open again.

Should Christ’s, Fitz, Jesus and Downing all win this weekend, only two points will separate 1st place from 6th, compared to six points at the same stage last season.

Attention this weekend turns to the first round of the Cuppers Competition. Look out for all the high and lows on The Tab on Monday!

Full college league tables, fixtures and results can be found here.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

,        

SHIT SUBJECT: The Arts

VOTE NOW: We didn’t include Land Economy, just to make things a bit more interesting

Tab guide to etiquette: Afternoon tea

How to make it seem like you have tea more than Her Majesty, the Queen.

, Chief Reporter

Remembering American Adventure, the closest we got to the USA in the Midlands

Horses, guns and rollercoasters. What more could you want?

, Head of Marketing

I’d rather hang out with my parents than go clubbing

Most of my friends would, too

, Durham Editor of The Tab

Rhodes Must Fall founder makes waitress cry ‘typical white tears’

He wrote ‘WE WILL GIVE TIP WHEN YOU RETURN THE LAND’

,        

How to check your boobs: A guide

It’s so easy

Aussie street style: Melbourne

Could you be any more laidback