Tennis Blues Suffer In Europe

By , Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

Cambridge struggle in the 'Group of Death' at the European Champs.

The Blues Tennis 1sts were left cursing their luck at the European Champs last week. Having qualified for the European Collegiate Tennis Association Championship, they were placed in a ‘Group of Death’ which they were unable to escape.

The 2010/11 Blues squad

The group, consisting of Leeds Met (BUCS Runners-up), Loughborough (European Champions) and Bath, proved too much of a hurdle to the Blues team, already hindered by an under-strength squad and lack of match preparation.

The first day’s play pitted Cambridge against Leeds Met ‘university’ and the vast difference in training regimes showed quickly, with the Cambridge team unable to take a set off of their Northern opponents.

Special mention to Captain Nick Jenkins for frustrating his internationally-ranked opponent into a near-complete breakdown, before succumbing 6-3 6-3.

The second day’s match against Loughborough followed a similar vein, but with each player able to impose themselves a bit more on their opponents. Notably Varsity hero RJ Lange, who pushed the talented Loughborough no.1 Jonny Kinsella all the way before losing 7-6 3-6 10-8 despite winning the second set with a double break.

Having now lost 2 matches, CULTC were determined to take home a victory against Bath on the third day. However, despite Jenkins and Legg turning the tables by not dropping a single game in their doubles, and Kenny Taubenslag outhitting his opponent until they were forced to retire, the team could not win the tie as a whole, losing 4-2 in matches.

This defeat was particularly tough to bear for Lange, who “would have won were he not so tired from the day before”, a sentiment many onlookers who had seen his performances, especially against Kinsella, agreed with.

CULTC therefore walked away from the competition empty-handed but having gained some match experience that may prove vital in the coming BUCS campaign.

The deflated team were amused by the response of former captain and old-blue John Western, who reminded them to look on the bright side, after all “Just remember who’s more employable!”.

Facebook Twitter
  • meth addict

• Jessie

• Rob

The title is complete bullocks. The fact that the the reactions show the synthesis of methamphetamine 3 is almost incidental. The questions are simply asking to describe features and components of the reactions; questions which could be applied to almost any reactions. Linkbaiting little fuckers.

Heard something on campus?

By on

Cambridge’s most obscure societies*

We went beyond the clichéd ones (Tiddlywinks, anyone?) to find Cambridge’s most obscure societies. *(AKA ones that are a tiny bit niche and were also willing to speak to us. Which was not that many.)

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Louise Mensch: “I’m a feminist and I don’t give a fuck what you say”

“There are no safe spaces when I’m around.”

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return