Student Wants Cambridge To Be ‘Tory-Free Zone’

A student's nomination to stand in a local election has been met with a mixed reaction.

A Cambridge postgrad running in a local city election says he wants to make Cambridge a “Tory-free zone”.

Outspoken George Owers, a history researcher at Jesus, is hoping to win the Coleridge ward – which includes colleges to the east of the city – at a by-election on November 4.

Owers told The Tab, “I’d dearly love to be the guy to make Cambridge a Tory-free zone”.

“I’ve been knocking on a lot of doors and a lot of Lib Dem and Independent voters are unhappy about the Coalition Government.”

He also hit out at current ‘privileged’ students, saying “A lot of students aren’t aware of wider social issues.

“I’m tired of navel gazing, internal Cambridge student politics. I’m in touch with what people – the elderly and young families – are worried about and I think their concerns are more pressing than students’, a lot of whom have won the lottery of life”.

Owers – who was the chair of the Cambridge Universities Labour Club (CULC) – is well known for his blunt views. When he was the head of CULC, he described the uni’s Conservative Association (CUCA) as “a glorified social club for wannabe toffs, social climbers and minor aristocrats”.

During his reign at the helm of CULC Owers also described CUCA as “pathetic” after the former head of the Conservative group penned a fake email pretending to be a woman.

He has already tried running for a seat for Labour, in the Abbey ward earlier in the year. He came third, getting just 90 more votes than the Conservative candidate who came in last.

Fans of Owers say he’s the best man for the job. Sam Littlejohns from Trinity said, “George’s pasison for Cambridge has always been inspiring.

“His commitment to the issues that affect people in Cambridge has never struck me as anything less than heartfelt”.

But other students are unimpressed with Owers’ tribal tub-thumping. Kien Trinh, an engineer, said, “ How can he say that students aren’t clued up on social issues when he’s a student standing for office?”

Another said, “I’ve got no time for the sort of gimps who at 21 already want to play party politics.

“It’s a bit pathetic, really.”

• KEGSladee

I heard he is hung like a horse

• Wannabe Toff@CUCA

No(wers), thanks.

• No 2 CUSU

Owers is a general muppet at politics who doesn't have the faintest idea about how people in the real world live and what matters to them, his organisation has alienated many of its potential supporters during his time as chair and he would be a laughable disaster for whichever ward he might get elected in

Heard something newsworthy?

, Cambridge Editor

Clare May Ball Committee forced into “full ticket recall” after college revolts at ticket blunders

Clare: Not so demure and friendly after all.

BREAKING: Arrests made regarding the recent murder of Giulio Regeni

37 arrests have been made by the Egyptian police force in connection with the killing of Giulio Regeni

Bizarre stories about Cambridge supervisors

This is what we pay £9000 for

What your Lent resolution says about you

So you’re giving up chocolate again?

, Contributing Editor

The best football gambler in the world is hiring

His statistical model beats the bookies most weeks

, Chief Reporter

The weirdest things you’re giving up for Lent

ASOS, sex and one guy is even giving up his girlfriend

, Chief Reporter

Commenters on this article from 2001 predicted Tinder and Instagram

They somehow saw Dogspotting coming too

, Chief Reporter

More evidence that barristers are the hottest professionals in London

Look at those cheekbones

, Contributing Editor

This video shows how 200 new skyscrapers will alter London forever

It looks completely different