Lineker Sees Red Over Cambridge Exam System

Gary Lineker has gone on the offensive against a new Cambridge A-level after his son failed to score the grades he needed.

The Match of the Day presenter has fired a volley of abuse at Surrey public school Charterhouse, where George Lineker has just finished.

George failed to net the hat-trick of B’s he needed to secure his shot at Manchester University, and Lineker senior reckons he has paid the penalty for the school’s decision to switch to the new Cambridge Pre-U system.

The former-England striker blasted: “We don’t know what’s going on with George at the moment. He did the Pre-U and they seem to have been marked much harder than the A-Level papers.”

George Lineker with former Big Brother contestant Sophie Reade

Having attended the prestigious £25,000 a year Charterhouse, known for its high churn-out of ‘A’ grades, Gary is livid  that his boy has not followed its tradition of returning top marks, and thinks the school’s decision has rebounded on his prospects.

“It’s all a bit frustrating, as it is the first year the Pre-U exams have been used, so George has been used as a guinea pig.”

The Cambridge Pre-U exams have been substituted for the conventional system in a handful of top private schools, including Dulwich, Winchester and Eton. It is considered to be a more difficult alternative, with the top mark being worth 5 UCAS points more than the new ‘A*’ in the conventional A-level system.

There have been suggestions that George Lineker’s ‘celeb lifestyle’ took his eye off the ball at school. On top of dating ex-Big Brother contestant Sophie Reade earlier in the year, he also took a week-long holiday to Tenerife just weeks before his exams as well as visiting his dad during the World Cup.

A source told The Mirror: “George got caught up in the celeb scene this year and it’s really affected his results.”

After scoring his academic own-goal, George ranted on Facebook: “didn’t get into a uni… cheers school u massive k**bers!”

A fleet-footed friend replied: “Just cos ya father is a celeb doesnt mean u go there automatically.”

Another photo of Sophie Reade in case you missed the first one.

Understadably the school have gone on the defensive. Headmaster the Rev John Witheridge said he was “delighted with our pupils’ excellent results this year.”

With less than a month to go until most freshers weeks kick off, it remains to be seen whether George will get another chance to go to university or whether his mis-firing revision has left him permanently on the sidelines. 

Heard something newsworthy?

REVIEW: Ten Plagues

Dani Cugini is confused and mesmerised by one of Cambridge’s most experimental shows to date.

Pro-Palestine Societies boycott Middle East Peace Week

They claim the talks were organised to “direct attention away from the growing success of Israeli Apartheid Week”.

and and

Tab Tries: Cambridge Escape Rooms

We got locked into several locked rooms for an hour and had to solve a series of weirdly difficult challenges to get out.

, Contributing Editor

Getting wasted with Kanye West fans in Notting Hill

To celebrate the release of The Life of Pablo

Liverpool Smithdown house parties are hell on earth

Do you even know the weirdos you’re letting in your house?

, Chief Reporter

Craig David’s Valentine’s playlist is a banger

He picked out his favourite ‘heartbreak’ tunes

Kingsland shopping centre is like a brilliant parallel universe

I can’t even find a recent photograph of it

, Chief Reporter

There’s a new app that works out what kind of dog you are

It uses artificial intelligence