Review: King’s Affair

STEPHANIE EDWARDS: 'it really didn’t need to try and mimic a May Ball on a deflated budget to be good'

King’s Affair promised to have beats, not Bollinger. It didn’t disappoint. If the youth of Britain found freedom in the 60s, grew taches in the 70s and discovered day-glo in the 80s, the revellers at King’s in 2010 found a break from the monotony of May Week’s black tie events. Like the years before, the theme was broad enough to be open to interpretation – Monopoly cards, Drag Queens and the Village People mingled with Lady Gaga(s), bananas (in pyjamas), miners, hippies and punks – but inventive enough to pull it all off in a flurry of glitter, strobe lighting and basslines.

Although some of the decor was quite frankly a bit sadistic – teddy bears suspended by their necks above the shisha area? – King’s College in all its majesty could hardly disappoint. More importantly, the use of clever lighting and the ever flowing vod-bull meant that no-one really cared. The committee used the space available well: unlike many May Week events the acts were concentrated indoors (therefore warm guests) and drinks were always to hand.

After running out of alcohol last year, the drink was of exceptional quantity, though not of quality. Bar after bar of drinks, ranging from vodka and cranberry to vodka and orange, meant that guests were dancing well into the early hours. YES, the service may have been with a smile but it seemed somewhat bizarre that the committee bothered to have a made to order service on drinks.  The queues were a little bit long at times, though I am talking 5 minutes max, when the entire operation could have been made more efficient by Garden Partyesque pre-made cocktails. The food was hardly a culinary triumph, but it was pitched perfectly, even if in too little quantities: the falafel, jacket potatoes, crepes, ice cream, doughnuts and pizza all ran out midnight. Only the BBQ remained, with the queues from the beginning to end.

What really made King’s then was the ents: club bangers from Dancehall, amazing riddims, a silent disco, house, bass, garage and RnB shook the historic courts and meant practically all music tastes were covered. The committee had gathered a ‘sick’ line-up, with a slick combination of grime, dance hall and drum and bass from big names like Joy Orbison and Logisitics. The 70+ year old DJ Derek also put in an appearance in the Chet, schmoozing fans with his rants about teenage pregnancy. The infamous Chapel provided a Chill Out zone, with pillows and an acoustic area headlined by Faith Taylor and ‘There and Back again’, a cultural treat for all guests which was swiftly juxtaposed in the main court by the laser quest, dogdegems and bouncy castle.

Overall, King’s was spot on. Brilliant ents, batty guests, plentiful amounts of shit vodka and an unrivalled atmosphere meant it really didn’t need to try and mimic a May Ball on a deflated budget to be good. Nevermind the May Ball’s, God Save the King’s Affair.

Food and Drink:

Wow Factor:

Value for Money:

Star Attraction: Acoustic sessions in Kings Chapel.

Biggest Turn Off: Long Queues / Lack of Food

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

So long as anti-Semitism is dismissed, Cambridge cannot endorse the NUS

It’s not right that the voices of thousands of Jewish students across the country are playing second fiddle.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

The Cambridge Easter Term Bucket List

Finding the fun in the joyless.

,        

How to pamper yourself after exams

It’s never too soon to start planning

, National Editor

A new study undermines one of Jeremy Hunt’s big arguments for changing junior doctor contracts

‘Extending services is not going to save any more lives’

I went to an outdoor gym and it made me feel like a caveman

You haven’t felt manly till you’ve flipped a truck tyre in Shoreditch

Justin Timberlake has just released the obligatory ‘song of the summer’

You’re going to really hate this in a few months

Oxford University will not expel Rhodes Must Fall founder

42,000 people called for his bursary to be revoked

, Assistant Editor

All the things you learn about life from your bang average state school

Lunchtime detentions were a rite of passage