Review: Christ’s May Ball

By on

LAURA DENNEHY: 'Laid back and sophisticated, you were more likely to find people learning how to salsa than gyrating in the dance tent.'

You know it was a good night when you wake up the next day smeared in Florentines. These little delights of gooiness and raisin were part of the delicious spread of cakes and pastries on offer in the Café Parisienne.  And evidently, in my drunken happy state as I was leaving the ball; I had thought it appropriate to fill my bag with them.

Excessive greed on my part aside, Christ’s was a brilliant night. The food was delicious and suitably French with croissants, croque monsieurs and Toulouse meatballs, although this element of sophistication was balanced with the May Ball stalwarts of candy floss and bacon sandwiches. The croque monsieurs on the other hand were limp and soggy, without a whiff of cheese, but maybe the lack of queue surrounding the stall was a sign.  But, I suppose, the impressively cheesey cheese and port room made up for the sandwich’s failings.

Drinks also played to the theme with kir royale, eye-watering absinthe and of course, champagne. However, they also allowed a snatch of Englishness in the midst of all this, with very welcome hot tea served just as dawn started to break when you had begun to think you would never feel your fingertips again for the cold.

Queues were short all round, and even the carousel and swings remained quiet enough that I was able to easily fit in three spins.  Perhaps this lack of people was explained by the surreal sight that greeted me in the chill out tent, crammed full of beautifully dressed, napping guests serenaded by a harpist.

So, the atmosphere of the ball was more sedate than your average May Ball, more of the guests were older and not at Cambridge. On the upside, it was more laid back and sophisticated, you were more likely to find people learning how to salsa than gyrating in the dance tent.  But, on the other hand it lacked a little buzz.

On to Ents, which were great, from the tremendously chirpy acapella group that serenaded us in the queue on the way in, to the guaranteed hilarity of the silent disco. All I can say, is that before last night I never knew such a loud and tuneless noise could emerge from such a tiny girl.

Overall it was a beautifully executed night, everything was planned to perfection, and Christ’s was transformed into a parisienne paradise. And I will always cherish the memories of those Florentines…

Food and drink: 

Wow factor:

Value for money: 

Star attraction: Patio heaters. When it comes down to it, they saved my toes.

Biggest turn off: The croque monsieurs.

• Pingback: Review: John’s May Ball « THE TAB – – All the latest Cambridge University news online()

• Pingback: Review: Gonville and Caius May Ball « THE TAB – – All the latest Cambridge University news online()

• Pingback: Review: Newnham June Event « THE TAB – – All the latest Cambridge University news online()

• crafty bison

Christ's was fantastic. The only downsides: a noticeable 4am lull, the first-court lawn being inexplicably roped off, and a pretty mediocre Two Door Cinema Club set. The surprise highlight: the now traditional Rubba Dub Bubblers. The no-surprise highlight: Everything Everything, by far the most accomplished band in May Week. Fantastic night.

• wilier coyote

4am was ceilidh time, aint no lull when you're dancing like you're in steerage.

• vero beach vacation

But I prefer the hike from Squaw Valley to Truckee along the PCT. But you need two cars for it: park one at Squaw, and one in Truckee, on Donner Pass Rd at the Lake Mary trailhead (see my Truckee post, and scroll down to the Mt Judah Loop hike for directions on where to park). Ride the cable car ($20) or hike from Squaws base area, and ascend to 8200ft. From here, theres little elevation change as you hike the PCT to Sugar Bowl ski area, location of Mt Judah. Youre in the middle of the wilderness, hiking at the crest, and the whole time you have drop-dead views. Be forewarned: this is for hearty hikers. At the end of the day, youll only have enough energy left to drink beer and eat burritos.

• Fools

Percentages don’t add up nice one

• Everyone Forgets…

• Correct Statistics

“One” of the worst words. The girls were obviously allowed to vote for more than one word so the percentages won’t add up to 100. its saying that x% of the girls listed this word as one of the worst.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Oxford captain RULED OUT for Varsity match happening in 11 DAYS

With very little time to go, Cambridge gets a massive boost

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

EXLCUSIVE PICS: James Bond Director Sam Mendes in town for Peterhouse Freshers’ Play

He returned to his old stomping ground of Peterhouse and helped out with the Freshers’ Play

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness