Review: 65daysofstatic

For JENNA CORDEROY, the gig broke up the monotony of a Sunday evening and the band did their new album justice.

Having missed ‘65daysofstatic’ at Reading festival last year, I literally jumped at the chance to see them play at The Junction.  The instrumental post-rock/electronica band has been around for some time now; their fourth album ‘We Were Exploding Anyway’ released last month.  The new album is well worth a listen, but I wanted to see whether their strong electronic sounds and crushing guitar chords can be successfully transferred to stage.  

At least one of the support acts, 'Nedry' deserves a mention – an absolutely brilliant band.  At the start of their set, their sound was the atmospheric background music found in cool London bars, quite like Bjork and Fever Ray, but then they introduced dubstep and guitar riffs similar to that of the Klaxons (in a good way).  A continual electronic noise, the crowd responded well and I look forward to their future success.  

Then the second support act, who goes by the name of ‘Loops Haunt’, immediately captured my attention with ‘A Clockwork Orange’ soundtrack, but that collapsed into noises found on the game Bop It.  He has potential, but his set was self-indulgent, and reminded me of the less-than-average May Ball DJ.  A couple were grinding, how I don’t know.  Just looked plain awkward.        

65days brought it back, and I felt bad for momentarily doubting their abilities.  They opened up with raw heavy rock of epic proportions and then progressed into more high energy music with undertones of electronica.  Retaining that energy, the band then burst into dancier tracks, but still keeping that heavy rock element.  A little similar to some of the tracks found on ‘Invaders Must Die’ by The Prodigy, 65days definitely got the crowd moving with ‘Dance Dance Dance’ and ‘Crash Tactics’. 

In a chilled electronic interlude I had a look around at one of the weirdest audiences I’ve experienced – hardly any teenagers, a couple of old bikers, that guy that was eating pork pies during the set, that annoying fuck with flailing arms dancing manically to the chill-out section, and then that spaced out guy who didn’t blink, the only time he moved was to clap at the end.  Oh to have been inside his head for the evening. 

65days ended their set on a dance track, leaving the crowd absolutely wild.  The highlights of the evening for me were ‘Tiger Girl’, which was like being transported to an electronic Brazilian festival with all those samba beats going on, and also ‘Piano Fights’, with its simple child’s piano tune that explodes into just pure wonder (see new album).      

I would have given the gig 4 ½ stars but strangely the encore ruined it slightly.  Opposed to their tight set beforehand it was loose and went on for too long.  Energy was wavering and then, sort of fizzled out.    

Heard something newsworthy?

TOP TEN REVEALED: The Biggest Names in Cambridge, as chosen by YOU

This year’s winner – a self-described “terrible person” – is a SHOCKER.

Emma Watson’s feminist book club: empowering or elitist?

The Tab Lifestyle Long Read: Feminism is for everyone, but this book club isn’t and it’s time to stop pretending otherwise.

Review: Iolanthe

Gilbert and Sullivan’s rompingly modern fairytale is well worth seeing, says Anna Peel.

#RIPTwitter

The site is changing your timeline and people are livid

, Contributing Editor

Don’t use the Six Nations as an excuse to slag off Plastic Celts

We can’t help who we are

, Deputy Editor

There is nothing men fear more than getting a haircut

‘Do you want the back square or natural?’

, Chief Reporter

If Notting Hill were remade today, where would it be set?

Dalston? Clapham? What about Brixton?

, Contributing Editor

The soul of London is visible through an unlikely window: Chicken Cottage

It’s a place that makes us all the same