Daybreak Drama: Gas Leak at Robinson

Nearly 300 students at Robinson College were turfed out of bed at 6.30am following a gas leak in a disused fridge

Robinson College entertained its very own pre-breakfast drama this Friday, with students turfed out of bed in the small hours following a chemical leak.

All residents of the College’s Grange Road site were forcibly evacuated, when what appeared to be a routine fire drill proved to be the result of an ammonia leak in the College’s auditorium. 

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Over 270 sleeping students and six fellows were woken at the ungodly hour of 6.30, shortly after many glued to election coverage had just staggered into bed. 

Residents were barred from the building for two hours, while emergency services verified the safety of the site.

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Following reports of a ‘chemical smell’, three fire engines and the police turned up, with a hazardous materials unit clad in protective clothing also making an appearance. 

With nearly 300 disgruntled people lining the pavements, the scene resembled a Hollywood drama.

However the distinctly unglamorous cause of the scare was soon revealed; it was the result of a small fire in a disused college fridge, which had caused an ammonia leak. 

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Once the underwhelming cause of the confusion was established, the fridge was removed for safety. 

It was confirmed that no one had been injured in the vicinity of the offending appliance.

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Unsurprisingly, students were less than thrilled at this enforced early morning wake-up call. “I only went to bed at 4am,” third year historian Rob told The Tab, “and to be left out in the cold over a fridge was a bit fucking rich.”

Callum Faint, station manager for Cambridgeshire fire and rescue service warned: “If you have an old fridge make sure it is serviced regularly.”

The offending fridge
Photos: Tim Sherrington
Heard something newsworthy?

REVIEW: CUOS Short Stories

Three remarkable student-written chamber operas performed in Trinity and Jesus College Chapels.

REVIEW: Measure for Measure

Shakespeare’s meditation on vice and virtue has been marvellously brought to life by the Marlowe Society at The Cambridge Arts Theatre.

A beginner’s guide to boatie ‘pain-faces’

The Tab takes you on a journey through the world of rowing pain-faces, and makes dozens of boatie enemies in the process.

, Contributing Editor

Bankers who wear red ties are making the ultimate tacky statement

They are Donald Trumps of the financial world

, Chief Reporter

We asked a load of guys called Pablo what their lives are really like

One of them hadn’t even heard of Kanye West

, Contributing Editor

Science says there are four kinds of couple

No, one of them isn’t the ‘really irritating’ couple

, Chief Reporter

The worst thing about turning 26 is a myth – you still get a railcard

Cheap trains are still an option

Desktop WhatsApp is a gamechanger

You can be messaging all day and your boss won’t have a clue

We asked an expert and the quarter-life crisis is a real thing

It’s a natural to feel lost in adulthood