Daybreak Drama: Gas Leak at Robinson

By on

Facebook Twitter

Nearly 300 students at Robinson College were turfed out of bed at 6.30am following a gas leak in a disused fridge

Robinson College entertained its very own pre-breakfast drama this Friday, with students turfed out of bed in the small hours following a chemical leak.

All residents of the College’s Grange Road site were forcibly evacuated, when what appeared to be a routine fire drill proved to be the result of an ammonia leak in the College’s auditorium. 

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Over 270 sleeping students and six fellows were woken at the ungodly hour of 6.30, shortly after many glued to election coverage had just staggered into bed. 

Residents were barred from the building for two hours, while emergency services verified the safety of the site.

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Following reports of a ‘chemical smell’, three fire engines and the police turned up, with a hazardous materials unit clad in protective clothing also making an appearance. 

With nearly 300 disgruntled people lining the pavements, the scene resembled a Hollywood drama.

However the distinctly unglamorous cause of the scare was soon revealed; it was the result of a small fire in a disused college fridge, which had caused an ammonia leak. 

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Once the underwhelming cause of the confusion was established, the fridge was removed for safety. 

It was confirmed that no one had been injured in the vicinity of the offending appliance.

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Unsurprisingly, students were less than thrilled at this enforced early morning wake-up call. “I only went to bed at 4am,” third year historian Rob told The Tab, “and to be left out in the cold over a fridge was a bit fucking rich.”

Callum Faint, station manager for Cambridgeshire fire and rescue service warned: “If you have an old fridge make sure it is serviced regularly.”

The offending fridge
Photos: Tim Sherrington
Facebook Twitter
Heard something on campus?

By on

Cambridge’s most obscure societies*

We went beyond the clichéd ones (Tiddlywinks, anyone?) to find Cambridge’s most obscure societies. *(AKA ones that are a tiny bit niche and were also willing to speak to us. Which was not that many.)

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Louise Mensch: “I’m a feminist and I don’t give a fuck what you say”

“There are no safe spaces when I’m around.”

By , Tab reporter on

Working at the Freshers’ Fair is Awful

We suffer for your freebies.

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return