Daybreak Drama: Gas Leak at Robinson

Nearly 300 students at Robinson College were turfed out of bed at 6.30am following a gas leak in a disused fridge

Robinson College entertained its very own pre-breakfast drama this Friday, with students turfed out of bed in the small hours following a chemical leak.

All residents of the College’s Grange Road site were forcibly evacuated, when what appeared to be a routine fire drill proved to be the result of an ammonia leak in the College’s auditorium. 

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Over 270 sleeping students and six fellows were woken at the ungodly hour of 6.30, shortly after many glued to election coverage had just staggered into bed. 

Residents were barred from the building for two hours, while emergency services verified the safety of the site.

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Following reports of a ‘chemical smell’, three fire engines and the police turned up, with a hazardous materials unit clad in protective clothing also making an appearance. 

With nearly 300 disgruntled people lining the pavements, the scene resembled a Hollywood drama.

However the distinctly unglamorous cause of the scare was soon revealed; it was the result of a small fire in a disused college fridge, which had caused an ammonia leak. 

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Once the underwhelming cause of the confusion was established, the fridge was removed for safety. 

It was confirmed that no one had been injured in the vicinity of the offending appliance.

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Unsurprisingly, students were less than thrilled at this enforced early morning wake-up call. “I only went to bed at 4am,” third year historian Rob told The Tab, “and to be left out in the cold over a fridge was a bit fucking rich.”

Callum Faint, station manager for Cambridgeshire fire and rescue service warned: “If you have an old fridge make sure it is serviced regularly.”

The offending fridge
Photos: Tim Sherrington
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

and

Tab Guide to filling the post-exam void

If you have yet to finish your exams, lol.

Anglia Ruskin and Hughes Hall clash leads to capsize

Rowing is turned on its head – literally.

QUEXIT: Queens’ JCR Call for referendum on CUSU affiliation

QUEXIT joins PEXIT to call for JCR disaffiliation from CUSU

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it