Daybreak Drama: Gas Leak at Robinson

Nearly 300 students at Robinson College were turfed out of bed at 6.30am following a gas leak in a disused fridge

Robinson College entertained its very own pre-breakfast drama this Friday, with students turfed out of bed in the small hours following a chemical leak.

All residents of the College’s Grange Road site were forcibly evacuated, when what appeared to be a routine fire drill proved to be the result of an ammonia leak in the College’s auditorium. 

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Over 270 sleeping students and six fellows were woken at the ungodly hour of 6.30, shortly after many glued to election coverage had just staggered into bed. 

Residents were barred from the building for two hours, while emergency services verified the safety of the site.

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Following reports of a ‘chemical smell’, three fire engines and the police turned up, with a hazardous materials unit clad in protective clothing also making an appearance. 

With nearly 300 disgruntled people lining the pavements, the scene resembled a Hollywood drama.

However the distinctly unglamorous cause of the scare was soon revealed; it was the result of a small fire in a disused college fridge, which had caused an ammonia leak. 

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Once the underwhelming cause of the confusion was established, the fridge was removed for safety. 

It was confirmed that no one had been injured in the vicinity of the offending appliance.

Photos: Tim Sherrington

Unsurprisingly, students were less than thrilled at this enforced early morning wake-up call. “I only went to bed at 4am,” third year historian Rob told The Tab, “and to be left out in the cold over a fridge was a bit fucking rich.”

Callum Faint, station manager for Cambridgeshire fire and rescue service warned: “If you have an old fridge make sure it is serviced regularly.”

The offending fridge
Photos: Tim Sherrington
Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Do we really hate each other?

Are the haters really gonna hate hate hate?

The Cambridge Easter Term Bucket List

Finding the fun in the joyless.

REVIEW: The Winter’s Tale

Shakespeare returns to the ADC in fine style.

, Assistant Editor

All the things you learn about life from your bang average comprehensive

Lunchtime detentions were a right of passage

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain

, Soton Opinion Editor of The Tab

Stop saying Kent is ‘racist’

There is something more complicated at play

, Assistant Editor

The Midlands is a place, don’t tell me I live in the North (or South)

Ever heard of Stratford-upon-Avon?

, Durham Editor

I went on the pill to treat my acne and it almost killed me

Madison will be on blood thinning medication for the rest of her life