Daybreak Drama: Gas Leak at Robinson

By on

Nearly 300 students at Robinson College were turfed out of bed at 6.30am following a gas leak in a disused fridge

Robinson College entertained its very own pre-breakfast drama this Friday, with students turfed out of bed in the small hours following a chemical leak.

All residents of the College’s Grange Road site were forcibly evacuated, when what appeared to be a routine fire drill proved to be the result of an ammonia leak in the College’s auditorium. 


Photos: Tim Sherrington

Over 270 sleeping students and six fellows were woken at the ungodly hour of 6.30, shortly after many glued to election coverage had just staggered into bed. 

Residents were barred from the building for two hours, while emergency services verified the safety of the site.


Photos: Tim Sherrington

Following reports of a ‘chemical smell’, three fire engines and the police turned up, with a hazardous materials unit clad in protective clothing also making an appearance. 

With nearly 300 disgruntled people lining the pavements, the scene resembled a Hollywood drama.

However the distinctly unglamorous cause of the scare was soon revealed; it was the result of a small fire in a disused college fridge, which had caused an ammonia leak. 


Photos: Tim Sherrington

Once the underwhelming cause of the confusion was established, the fridge was removed for safety. 

It was confirmed that no one had been injured in the vicinity of the offending appliance.


Photos: Tim Sherrington

Unsurprisingly, students were less than thrilled at this enforced early morning wake-up call. “I only went to bed at 4am,” third year historian Rob told The Tab, “and to be left out in the cold over a fridge was a bit fucking rich.”

Callum Faint, station manager for Cambridgeshire fire and rescue service warned: “If you have an old fridge make sure it is serviced regularly.”


The offending fridge
Photos: Tim Sherrington
Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

Review: Spilt Milk

Ridiculous, witty and funny, Sayana enjoyed her evening in Spilt Milk (although not literally, because that would be gross…).

By on

State of the Union: Charlotte Ivers wins presidential election

And by a landslide: 517, to Sachin Parathalingam’s 304 votes.

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness