Cameron’s Gay Times Gaffe

By on

Facebook Twitter

LUKE HAWKSBEE on David Cameron's fluffing of questions concerning homosexuality in a recent interview with Gay Times.

In a recent interview with Gay Times, David Cameron seemed unable to remove his foot from his mouth.

On the one hand, Cameron has a relatively good record on gay rights. Well, he does as far as Tories go. He supported civil partnerships and apologised for Thatcher's Section 28, a ban on promoting homosexuality in schools. On the other hand, he admitted to exercising little control over his MEPs, who align themselves with extreme right-wingers and voted against criticising Lithuania's own Section 28-style law. The Tory party machine claimed that they simply didn’t want to meddle in other countries' affairs, but I somehow doubt that retroactive rationales convince many voters.

So, is this a case of 'new leader, same old party?' Cameron argues that he has made a lasting change to Tory policy on gay rights. But, MEPs aside, even he seemed to be backtracking later in the interview. The Tory leader suggested at least three times that questions concerning gay rights should be a free vote, which, by Parliamentary custom, implies that he doesn't consider it a human rights issue.

Cameron admitted, ‘it's not a very good answer’, but continued to repeat it. When the interviewer pressed him on the apparent contradiction between his preference for free votes and his acknowledgement that gay rights are human rights, his response was, ‘no sorry, you're right, you're right, no, I mean … the answer about, sorry, sorry, erm, no, you're right, the two, erm, sorry … the two votes are very different … do you know, can we stop for a second? … I'd almost like to start completely from scratch’. After the interview, Tory spin-doctors went into damage limitation mode and tried to kill the tape. Thankfully, Gay Times ran the story anyway.

Let's get back to the party as a whole. Interestingly, one gay Tory blogger has suggested that most of the old-school homophobes have been weeded out ‘mainly due to fiddling their expenses’. It says a lot about the Tory attitude to human rights that the grievous offence is duck islands rather than bigotry. Despite the fortunate correlation between expense fiddling and homophobia (they'd still be there if they'd kept their fingers out of the till), it seems the job is far from complete, since a leading Tory advocated the 'right' to deny gay customers lodging in B&Bs. He clarified that this should only apply to those B&Bs run from one's own home, not high street hotels, but it seems clear that small business is higher on the Tory to-woo list than the LGBTQ community, and they clearly put property rights before human rights. The Tories claim to have changed, but they are still the party of the rich and powerful.

Shoring up their funding and pandering to the right wing of the church is more important to them than equality. They're called Conservatives, and the name still fits; however much they call for 'change', they are scared of threats to outdated traditional views, such as those concerning homophobia. Don't get me wrong; I'm not a Labour supporter (or a Lib Dem supporter, for that matter). This isn't a partisan attack; the truth is that equality can't be legislated into effect by a tiny minority. Homophobia affects many people on a daily basis, and thus, change is needed. Only serious social change (alongside a calling to account of the political elite over homophobia) can safeguard our human right to love.

Facebook Twitter
  • MickyA

I'm not sure how far Luke is 'pretending to come from the centre' – this is obviously an attack on the Tories, and he states that he is not a supporter of the Lib Dems or Labour. Surely the 'centre' is support for one of the three major parties?

• Some guy

don't worry too much John. There's no point taking Hawksbee that seriously

• Equally anonymous

John – I don't know where you got the idea I've ever pretended to come from the centre. I've never done so. I was open about my politics in the cross-campus sabbatical and NUS elections I stood in.
    And I don't think I should worry too much about 'some guy' deciding I'm not worth taking seriously, given that about 800 students voted for me in said sabb election…

• Luke Hawksbee

RE: How long ago the interview was, it came to my attention about a month ago (when it hit most of the media), but it's taken a couple of weeks to get the article written and up on here. Since it's an "opinion" piece, not "news', I don't think it much matters that it's taken a while to get out there, surely?

Heard something on campus?

By and on

Civil war: Resignations, infighting and plans to host Julian Assange push Union to breaking point

Civil War has broken out at the Cambridge Union after a referendum was announced over their decision to host the controversial Wikileaks founder Julian Assange

By on

Cambridge’s most obscure societies*

We went beyond the clichéd ones (Tiddlywinks, anyone?) to find Cambridge’s most obscure societies. *(AKA ones that are a tiny bit niche and were also willing to speak to us. Which was not that many.)

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Louise Mensch: “I’m a feminist and I don’t give a fuck what you say”

“There are no safe spaces when I’m around.”

By , Features Editor on

Best person on Facebook this week

Netflix and chill is DEAD

By ,         on

VOTE: Who was the best dressed this week?

These people are killing it

By , Durham Editor of The Tab on

Durham Linguists are feckless posers who don’t know the meaning of a real degree

‘Ou est la gare?’

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Best clubbers of the week

You drink, we judge

By ,         on

Third years who found their housemate dead in his room are now being sued for unpaid rent

They were too traumatised to return