Hawking Not Walking

By on

Professor Stephen Hawking announced yesterday that he will not retire from his post in Cambridge until at least 2012, at the age of 70.

The news that he will stay as director of research in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics quashes the gossip that he is planning a move to Canada.

Earlier this month there were rumours that Hawking was planning a permanent move to the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario, Canada, after he was forced to step down from the prestigious post of Lucasian Professor of Mathematics because he was “too old”.

He had held the chair since 1979 but was removed last year by a University rule which requires staff to retire at the end of the academic year in which they turn 67.

At the time, Professor Neil Turok, executive director of the institute in Canada where Hawking still plans to spend 2 months this summer, said the door was open for his former colleague Hawking to join him permanently.

However the University have bent the rule to allow Hawking to stay on for another 2 and a half years in a different post.

In total, 11 academics beyond retirement age were retained by the University in 2008-9.

Judith Croasdell, Professor Hawking's PA, said the eminent physicist could even continue in his post beyond the age of 70.

She said: "2012 is just an optional date and was given as a normal retirement date by the university.

"But he could go on a lot longer if he wanted to. He loves his job and is very happy and very much needed here.

"At the moment Professor Hawking has no plans to retire. I know the department would like him to be here a lot longer."

A spokesman for Cambridge University declined to comment

• Lamb

Who's going to be new Lucasian Professor. Anyone know yet?

• Guest

'Hawking not walking' – hardly news, is it?

• felix

I have no idea how the comment above is not higher rated

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By , Deputy Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

EXLCUSIVE PICS: James Bond Director Sam Mendes in town for Peterhouse Freshers’ Play

He returned to his old stomping ground of Peterhouse and helped out with the Freshers’ Play

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat

By , Chief Reporter on

How to get into a Boiler Room DJ set

There are a few options

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness