Hawking Not Walking

Professor Stephen Hawking announced yesterday that he will not retire from his post in Cambridge until at least 2012, at the age of 70.

The news that he will stay as director of research in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics quashes the gossip that he is planning a move to Canada.

Earlier this month there were rumours that Hawking was planning a permanent move to the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario, Canada, after he was forced to step down from the prestigious post of Lucasian Professor of Mathematics because he was “too old”.

He had held the chair since 1979 but was removed last year by a University rule which requires staff to retire at the end of the academic year in which they turn 67.

At the time, Professor Neil Turok, executive director of the institute in Canada where Hawking still plans to spend 2 months this summer, said the door was open for his former colleague Hawking to join him permanently.

However the University have bent the rule to allow Hawking to stay on for another 2 and a half years in a different post.

In total, 11 academics beyond retirement age were retained by the University in 2008-9.

Judith Croasdell, Professor Hawking's PA, said the eminent physicist could even continue in his post beyond the age of 70.

She said: "2012 is just an optional date and was given as a normal retirement date by the university.

"But he could go on a lot longer if he wanted to. He loves his job and is very happy and very much needed here.

"At the moment Professor Hawking has no plans to retire. I know the department would like him to be here a lot longer."

A spokesman for Cambridge University declined to comment

• Lamb

Who's going to be new Lucasian Professor. Anyone know yet?

• Guest

'Hawking not walking' – hardly news, is it?

• felix

I have no idea how the comment above is not higher rated

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

The NUS can’t be reformed from within

Do you hate anti-Semitism so much that you want to stay in the NUS and fight against it?

You’re at Cambridge, you know change is slow: Why we must stay affiliated to NUS

I am urging Cambridge students to vote NO to disaffiliation, not because the NUS is perfect, but precisely because it’s not.

Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now: My Revision Period In Smiths Tracks

How a jangly 80s indie band perfectly summed up the revision period

, Cardiff Editor of The Tab

Facebook was right to remove an advert featuring plus-sized model Tess Holliday

Images of significantly overweight women are as damaging as size zero women

,        

What’s the ugliest accent in the UK?

There are so many unpleasant dialects to choose from

,        

57 per cent of graduates would vote to remain in the EU, says new poll

And 14 per cent support leaving

What not to say to someone with depression

No, they can’t just ‘snap out of it’