Hawking Not Walking

Professor Stephen Hawking announced yesterday that he will not retire from his post in Cambridge until at least 2012, at the age of 70.

The news that he will stay as director of research in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics quashes the gossip that he is planning a move to Canada.

Earlier this month there were rumours that Hawking was planning a permanent move to the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario, Canada, after he was forced to step down from the prestigious post of Lucasian Professor of Mathematics because he was “too old”.

He had held the chair since 1979 but was removed last year by a University rule which requires staff to retire at the end of the academic year in which they turn 67.

At the time, Professor Neil Turok, executive director of the institute in Canada where Hawking still plans to spend 2 months this summer, said the door was open for his former colleague Hawking to join him permanently.

However the University have bent the rule to allow Hawking to stay on for another 2 and a half years in a different post.

In total, 11 academics beyond retirement age were retained by the University in 2008-9.

Judith Croasdell, Professor Hawking's PA, said the eminent physicist could even continue in his post beyond the age of 70.

She said: "2012 is just an optional date and was given as a normal retirement date by the university.

"But he could go on a lot longer if he wanted to. He loves his job and is very happy and very much needed here.

"At the moment Professor Hawking has no plans to retire. I know the department would like him to be here a lot longer."

A spokesman for Cambridge University declined to comment

• Lamb

Who's going to be new Lucasian Professor. Anyone know yet?

• Guest

'Hawking not walking' – hardly news, is it?

• felix

I have no idea how the comment above is not higher rated

Heard something newsworthy?

REVIEW: Ten Plagues

Dani Cugini is confused and mesmerised by one of Cambridge’s most experimental shows to date.

Pro-Palestine Societies boycott Middle East Peace Week

They claim the talks were organised to “direct attention away from the growing success of Israeli Apartheid Week”.

and and

Tab Tries: Cambridge Escape Rooms

We got locked into several locked rooms for an hour and had to solve a series of weirdly difficult challenges to get out.

, Contributing Editor

Getting wasted with Kanye West fans in Notting Hill

To celebrate the release of The Life of Pablo

Liverpool Smithdown house parties are hell on earth

Do you even know the weirdos you’re letting in your house?

, Chief Reporter

Craig David’s Valentine’s playlist is a banger

He picked out his favourite ‘heartbreak’ tunes

Kingsland shopping centre is like a brilliant parallel universe

I can’t even find a recent photograph of it

, Chief Reporter

There’s a new app that works out what kind of dog you are

It uses artificial intelligence