Hawking Not Walking

By on

Professor Stephen Hawking announced yesterday that he will not retire from his post in Cambridge until at least 2012, at the age of 70.

The news that he will stay as director of research in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics quashes the gossip that he is planning a move to Canada.

Earlier this month there were rumours that Hawking was planning a permanent move to the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario, Canada, after he was forced to step down from the prestigious post of Lucasian Professor of Mathematics because he was “too old”.

He had held the chair since 1979 but was removed last year by a University rule which requires staff to retire at the end of the academic year in which they turn 67.

At the time, Professor Neil Turok, executive director of the institute in Canada where Hawking still plans to spend 2 months this summer, said the door was open for his former colleague Hawking to join him permanently.

However the University have bent the rule to allow Hawking to stay on for another 2 and a half years in a different post.

In total, 11 academics beyond retirement age were retained by the University in 2008-9.

Judith Croasdell, Professor Hawking's PA, said the eminent physicist could even continue in his post beyond the age of 70.

She said: "2012 is just an optional date and was given as a normal retirement date by the university.

"But he could go on a lot longer if he wanted to. He loves his job and is very happy and very much needed here.

"At the moment Professor Hawking has no plans to retire. I know the department would like him to be here a lot longer."

A spokesman for Cambridge University declined to comment

• Lamb

Who's going to be new Lucasian Professor. Anyone know yet?

• Guest

'Hawking not walking' – hardly news, is it?

• felix

I have no idea how the comment above is not higher rated

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By , Editor, The Tab Cambridge on

Queens’ JCR President announces Bops return with a YouTube Christmas poem

College authorities succumb to the people’s demand for glorified, semi-ironic organised fun

By ,         on

Tab writers: Where are they now?

They were the ones who insisted they’d stop writing when you stopped reading

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Head of Marketing on

There’s just something about girls who DJ

They exude coolness

By , Argument Editor on

If quoting a film gets them kicked out of uni, it’s no wonder medics aren’t fun

A Leicester medic channelled Liam Neeson and paid a heavy price

By , Royal Holloway Guide Features Editor of The Tab on

A former London bus driver tells us why he decided to work for Uber instead

He genuinely didn’t see you running for the bus

By on

Getting paid for Instagram posts: How easy is it?

Lexi Harvey asks the social media starlets posting their freebies

By , Chief Reporter on

Taking a photo with Eddie Redmayne at work got me sacked

He was fired on his day off from All Saints for meeting his hero