BAFTAs 2010 Red Carpet Fashion

We know the winners of the 2010 Bafta Awards, but who won in the style stakes? Tab Fashion takes a look at the best, worst, and debateable red carpet outfits…

Awards celeb fashion red carpet

Ok, so we weren’t actually there (the organisers, having realised that Week 6 is far too busy a time to go gallivanting off down to London, politely declined to invite to us), but that doesn’t mean we can’t procrastinate from essay crises/dissertation reading/lectures by lusting after the pretty dresses. While most fashion eyes are currently across town for London Fashion Week, a catwalk of the red carpet variety was being strutted down by some of the heavyweights of the film world – with all eyes on the capital to give us an indication of what people might be wearing to the Oscars next month. In general the stars, regardless of their age, went for grown up glamour with flowing gowns and shimmering accessories, and there were the inevitable (and fitting) tributes to Alexander McQueen from the likes of Jamie Winstone and Sam Taylor-Wood. Here at Tab Fashion we’ve helpfully sorted them into the inevitable ‘yes’, ‘no’ and ‘maybe’ piles for you to peruse at your leisure.

Yes…

Young guns Kristen Stewart and Saoirse Ronan kept it all white on the night (see what I did there?) in young frocks by Chanel and Burberry respectively. Pretty and age appropriate, they stood out against the deluge of black. Could have done without Kristen’s weddingy shoes though…

‘Emma’ star Ramola Garai also looked cute as a button in a bright floral McQueen number. With her hair piled on top of her hair she kept it young and fresh even though it’s a bit more fashion show than red carpet.

There were also some elegant ensembles from the likes of Kate Winslet who shone (and looked younger than ever!) in black, form-fitting Stella McCartney with waist-whittling lace inserts. A tiny bit safe, but very chic and nice to see some patriotic dressing from the home-grown star.

Similarly ‘Up in the Air’ star Vera Farmiga looked stunning in a sweeping, chiffon gown by Marchesa. Very event appropriate (although there were the inevitable wedding dress comparisons) and the beautiful hair and make-up completed a faultless red carpet look.

Best dressed male goes unsurprisingly to Tom Ford, who didn’t really give the other lads a chance with his perfectly cut tux and cinching cummerbund just peeping through.

No…

When planning your May Ball outfit, learn from Olivia Williams’ mistake and don’t listen when someone tells you it’ll be a really great idea to slash your dress up to your bum. It’s not.

Anna Kendrick almost got it right in bright, punchy Pucci, with a lovely swirly accent down the front. But the lack of tailoring in the ruffled dress left her looking a bit square which coupled with the (albeit gorgeous) strappy Choos which cut her off at the ankles, didn’t highlight her best features.

Maybe…
Golden girl Carey Mulligan went home the big winner of the night and I want to like the dress, I really do, but from the waist down it all goes a bit wrong as the cute print suddenly turns far too mumsy for a 24 year old. Best not to be too hard on her though, the poor love does seem to have lost a big chunk out of the front in what I can only assume was an accident with the limo door.

Also putting a rare fashion foot wrong was the fabulous Audrey Tatou who looked like she’d been wrapped up in a crumpled paper café napkin. True, from some angles the pink Lanvin creation crept over the borderline into edgily acceptable but on the whole not a convincing showstopper.

Yawn, Bonnie Wright, yawn. While there’s nothing really wrong with the satin Prada gown and she looked undeniably poised, the matching Prada shoes AND bag were all a bit much and quite a disappointment from a supposed fashion maven who’s been tipped to succeed Emma Watson as most stylish Harry Potter star. Had she added some bolder accessories, or even just dared to add a second colour into the mix, she would’ve impressed more.