Review: Macbeth

By on

'Modern in all the right ways': ROISIN KIBERD strongly recommends this new take on an age old play.

Thursday 18th – Saturday 20th, 7.00 at the Judith E. Wilson Studio.  £5-6.

Directed by Isabel Taylor.

'Times have been, / that when the brains were out, the man would die, / And there an end; but now they rise again'

So says Macbeth when confronted with the ghost of Banquo, back from the grave and seated at his dinner table. The same might be remarked of Macbeth itself, the GCSE play that refuses to die. How many dodgy school-hall stagings have we seen, with daggers on strings and a bellowing hero, or po-faced fringe productions with no daggers at all? We were warned that Shakespeare's most commercial tragedy was cursed; the curse seems to be that no director can ever get it right.

Such is the perennial popularity of Macbeth that only last week one staging finished at the Corpus Playroom, for another to spring up in its place.  I arrive expecting cringy pretension from this piece of 'promenade theatre'; we're kept waiting ten minutes while cast members mill around and lean against walls dressed in military regalia, one in a wheelchair and another bloodied with prosthetic battle-scars.  But the queue takes an interesting turn when a small boy emerges and starts handing each person scribbled pictures, of swords and eerie symbols and the nuclear family daubed in blood. 

Smugly self-referential, yes, but disarming and a little bit hilarious. What remains of the fourth wall is swiftly seen off by the witches who usher us in with bells, shine torches in our faces and rifle through the front row's handbags.

It is the added dimension that really makes the production.  At one point we accompany Macbeth through a madhouse corridor, dimly lit by witches and terrifying little children (yes, they use real child actors, terrifyingly eloquent and probably harvested from some local theatre school..).

We alternate from the shadows and synthesized soundtrack of the main studio, to daylight, to a corridor, to the studio once again, creating the unnerving sense that the play is unfolding in real time.

This is enhanced with standout performances from the leads; Kathryn Griffith's Lady Macbeth plays the hostess and the mental patient with equal conviction, while James Barwise is an endearingly fallible and human hero.  Griffith's terse, emphatic delivery takes a bit of getting used to, but as a pair they are the ideal mix of morally repellent and sexy. The supporting cast is also well-chosen; Benedict O'Malley plays Malcolm as provincial and childlike, just as Shakespeare's wash-out prince should be, while Macduff (John Winterburn)'s lament for his wife and child provides a tender, tragic lull between the battle scenes and witches' shrieks.

Photos by Chrystal Ding.

Canny directing and a restrained but supremely inventive production marks this out as miles beyond Shakespeare by-the-book. Modern in all the right ways, it struck a careful balance between attention-grabbing 'concept' staging and an intense focus on performances. Productions like these make you want to get up on stage and join in the action. The difference being that in this strange, four-dimensional rendering of Macbeth, for one night we really can.

Heard something newsworthy?

By and on

The mafia is opening its ranks

The Tab is giving out free CV points.

By on

REVIEW: And Then There Were Nuns

Lia Johansen-Villanueva was promised cocktails and an evening of laughter. The team behind And Then There Were Nuns delivered, and even threw in a lovely furry hat.

By on

The Love of the Nightingale and violence against women

Fresher director Eva O’Flynn discusses dealing with themes of rape and abuse of women in theatre on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Deputy Editor on

I wore an ‘I love consent’ t-shirt on a night out

Consent is sexy

By on

Loughborough The struggles of being a tall girl

Groups shots are a nightmare

By on

London Where should you live in North London?

We tried to contact South London but the expeditionary team never returned

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it