Cambridge Drinkers Show Their Stamina

By , Senior Tab reporter on

Facebook Twitter

A spectacularly messy pub crawl through some of Cambridge’s liveliest nightspots has been caught on camera.

The ‘Stamina Cambridge’ pub crawl saw over 350 students from Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin Universities binge-drink their way through town last Thursday. The night culminated in mass vomiting and simulated sex acts.

Participants shelled out £10 each for a logo-emblazoned T-shirt which brought free entry to five bars, as well as cut-price drinks.

The regulation shirts were quickly customised by some of the female participants to reflect the theme of the evening, ‘Sexy Circus’.

Students began the night in Wetherspoons, before moving on to Vodka Revolutions, Slug and Lettuce, Fez and the Place.

With vodka shots and pints of lager slashed to just £1.50 in certain venues, the rowdy crowd were more than ready for the organised fun scheduled by the event’s planners.

Fez’s dancefloor played host to such saucy shenanigans as a competition between two tutu-clad girls and two boys to see who could simulate the most sex acts within sixty seconds.

Photo: Masons

Cambridge local David O’Doherty, 29, said of the event, ‘There were piles of sick every few feet. It's like a cross between a sordid youth club and Lord of the Flies.’

However Cambridge undergraduate Sam Davis told the Tab, ‘I didn’t do the pub crawl but I walked past a large group in transit. It really was nothing I haven’t seen before.’

Organisers Stamina host bar crawls for students across the UK. They use University students as ‘reps’ and advertise virally online, including on social networking sites such as Facebook. Stamina Cambridge has 1,271 members in its Facebook group and racked up 424 confirmed guests for Thursday's pub crawl.

The group states: 'Please remember that Stamina events are about having fun and meeting people in a friendly and safe environment. Excessive drinking is NOT encouraged.'

A Stamina rep who declined to be named said, ‘ Obviously people drink alcohol and get a little drunk but we encourage people to be responsible and send them home if they can’t stand up… it’s never any worse than what we see every Saturday night in towns across Britain.’

3rd year Sport Psychology undergrad Emma Lord was one of the reps for Anglia Ruskin University. She exclusively told The Tab, 'It was a really good turnout. All the T-Shirts I had to give out were gone. The photos show that everybody had a really good time, and I'm sure any more Stamina nights will be just as successful if not more.'

Photo: Masons

The Tab spoke to two freshers who attended the pub crawl. They asked not to be named but told The Tab, 'I've definitely been more drunk and seen people more drunk. We were always surrounded by others and in safe places so I don't see why students on a bar crawl is that exciting really!'

Facebook Twitter
  • Guest

poor guy in the top photo – imagine pulling a girl taller than you. you can even see his struggle to put his arm round her neck…

• Guest

Your Some Sort Of Mug Ain't Ya, Wats Up With Ya? You Too Ugly To Get On The Paper Or Even Be Seen With A Girl?

• Concerned

Ripped off by the telegraph?

• Concerned

Ripped off by the telegraph?
    P.S.: Wanted to mention great post!

• Boring

• Simon

How on Earth is this worthy of an article? This "paper" gets worse. A load of students who can't handle their drink getting drunk on barely anything and falling over making themselves look like mugs, what a surprise.

• guest

theres no chance that kid took her home

• sinch

Oi you mug posting at the top, how about i tear your throat out wat about tht?

• sdsd

hahha yes shinch

Heard something on campus?

By , Tab reporter on

Emily Maitlis has everyone’s dream job

You know you’ve made it when you’re invited back to speak at the Union

By on

REVIEW: Beluga

Flo Best and Ellen McGrath had a whale of a time and surprisingly learned a bit about belugas along the way.

By on

Corpus playroom’s small theatre space lends itself to the intense feeling of claustrophobia in LAUNCH.

By , Chief Reporter on

One of The Apprentice contestants is a grad set to take the show by storm

She claims to have got the highest mark on her Business Studies course

By , Former Editor, The Tab London on

London Toffs should feel guilty about a lot of things but listening to dubstep isn’t one of them

It’s time to welcome the Skepta-loving rich list in from the cold

By , Chief Reporter on

Twin model crashed car after drink driving at 10 in the morning

Both twins were previously handed ASBOs because of their wild parties

By , Chief Reporter on

Private school makes you a boring clone of your mum and dad

Going to the same Russell Group unis to do the same subjects makes you a robot, apparently

By on

Milo Yiannopoulos: It’s absurd that I was banned from speaking at Manchester SU

You guys, I feel very oppressed right now

By , Assistant Editor on

It’s time someone said it: Medics are the worst people at uni

‘You wouldn’t understand, you’re not one of us’