Cambridge Drinkers Show Their Stamina

By on

A spectacularly messy pub crawl through some of Cambridge’s liveliest nightspots has been caught on camera.

The ‘Stamina Cambridge’ pub crawl saw over 350 students from Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin Universities binge-drink their way through town last Thursday. The night culminated in mass vomiting and simulated sex acts.

Participants shelled out £10 each for a logo-emblazoned T-shirt which brought free entry to five bars, as well as cut-price drinks.

The regulation shirts were quickly customised by some of the female participants to reflect the theme of the evening, ‘Sexy Circus’.

Students began the night in Wetherspoons, before moving on to Vodka Revolutions, Slug and Lettuce, Fez and the Place.

With vodka shots and pints of lager slashed to just £1.50 in certain venues, the rowdy crowd were more than ready for the organised fun scheduled by the event’s planners.

Fez’s dancefloor played host to such saucy shenanigans as a competition between two tutu-clad girls and two boys to see who could simulate the most sex acts within sixty seconds.

Photo: Masons

Cambridge local David O’Doherty, 29, said of the event, ‘There were piles of sick every few feet. It's like a cross between a sordid youth club and Lord of the Flies.’

However Cambridge undergraduate Sam Davis told the Tab, ‘I didn’t do the pub crawl but I walked past a large group in transit. It really was nothing I haven’t seen before.’

Organisers Stamina host bar crawls for students across the UK. They use University students as ‘reps’ and advertise virally online, including on social networking sites such as Facebook. Stamina Cambridge has 1,271 members in its Facebook group and racked up 424 confirmed guests for Thursday's pub crawl.

The group states: 'Please remember that Stamina events are about having fun and meeting people in a friendly and safe environment. Excessive drinking is NOT encouraged.'

A Stamina rep who declined to be named said, ‘ Obviously people drink alcohol and get a little drunk but we encourage people to be responsible and send them home if they can’t stand up… it’s never any worse than what we see every Saturday night in towns across Britain.’

3rd year Sport Psychology undergrad Emma Lord was one of the reps for Anglia Ruskin University. She exclusively told The Tab, 'It was a really good turnout. All the T-Shirts I had to give out were gone. The photos show that everybody had a really good time, and I'm sure any more Stamina nights will be just as successful if not more.'

Photo: Masons

The Tab spoke to two freshers who attended the pub crawl. They asked not to be named but told The Tab, 'I've definitely been more drunk and seen people more drunk. We were always surrounded by others and in safe places so I don't see why students on a bar crawl is that exciting really!'

• Guest

poor guy in the top photo – imagine pulling a girl taller than you. you can even see his struggle to put his arm round her neck…

• Guest

Your Some Sort Of Mug Ain't Ya, Wats Up With Ya? You Too Ugly To Get On The Paper Or Even Be Seen With A Girl?

• Concerned

Ripped off by the telegraph?

• Concerned

Ripped off by the telegraph?
    P.S.: Wanted to mention great post!

• Boring

• Simon

How on Earth is this worthy of an article? This "paper" gets worse. A load of students who can't handle their drink getting drunk on barely anything and falling over making themselves look like mugs, what a surprise.

• guest

theres no chance that kid took her home

• sinch

Oi you mug posting at the top, how about i tear your throat out wat about tht?

• sdsd

hahha yes shinch

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

The Union Presidential Elections: The Tab interviews Sachin and Charlotte

We asked the Union presidential candidates why you should vote for them

By on

Guys, are we really helping our female friends?

She was in Leeds, I was in Cambridge, 150 miles away. She messaged me as she was harassed and groped by an unknown but persistant stranger. There was nothing I could do.

By on

Finn McRedmond Week 7: Stop being a tragedy hipster

Morality isn’t about being cool

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else