Football Round-Up: Crucial Wins For Christ’s And Emma

The Tab rounds up this week’s Division 1 Football action. Read more here.

christ's football college football downing football emma football Fitz football jesus football Pembroke football

Every week The Tab brings you match reports and results from Division 1 football

Pembroke 0 – 6 Emmanuel

Emma smashed six past struggling Pembroke, who remain stranded three points away from  John’s and safety. With the second most prolific attack taking on the second leakiest defence in the division, the crowd left having witnessed the goal-fest they had anticipated.

James Douglas was again the star of the show, his brace taking him to ten for the season in all competitions.  Pembroke could do with a striker of his calibre; only Girton and Catz have scored fewer goals in Division 1.

On one of those days where goals can come from anywhere and everywhere ‘rampaging’ full back Declan Clancy grabbed two goals, while Douglas’s strike partner Parsons was not to be denied getting on the score-sheet himself.

Dan Brown completed the rout with a ‘magnificently scuffed’ attempt.  Skipper Tom Perez was delighted with the result which propels his team into the Top Four.

Pembroke will feel aggrieved not to have got on the board themselves, but ultimately could not argue with the result. They are going to have to improve at both ends of the pitch if they are to avoid a swift return to Division 2.

Catz 0 – 1 Downing

Lowly Catz almost provided the shock of the season on Saturday, almost doing enough to register their first point of the season.

Downing went into the game unbeaten in all competitions and would have expected a rout given their opponents woeful defensive record. Yet the league leaders looked rusty and struggled to put together the silky passages of play that have seen them dominate the league thus far.

The decisive goal came just before the break, a ‘clear-cut’ penalty being converted by Downing captain Tom Marsh, who must now be confident of lifting the coveted trophy at the end of the season.

They say the best teams know how to win ugly and this certainly applied to Downing this weekend; James McEvoy at centre-back was their Man of the Match and this tells a story in itself.

Catz can’t be faulted by their endeavour, ambition and commitment but they just fell short once again. The Great Escape is still mathematically possible but time is running out.

John’s 1 – 3 Christ’s

The Red Boys may have sealed the Division 1 rugby title weeks ago but their footballing counterparts are fighting to stave off relegation following their fifth defeat of the season.

In a match reminiscent of the Chelsea v Arsenal game at the weekend, Christ’s soaked up the early pressure and hit John’s hard on the counter, putting together some flowing passages of play.

The Drogba-esque Harrison took matters into his own hands, coolly rounding the keeper and slotting home for his first and then converted a penalty that he himself had won to give his Christ’s a 2-0 lead at the break.

O’Halloran saw his corner turned into the net by the John’s keeper early in the second half and the game looked as good as gone.

But John’s fought back, putting five men across midfield and, having pulled a goal back, hopes of a late comeback were briefly raised.

However the Christ’s defensive unit stood firm and ensured their team remain in the upper reaches of the table.

Fitz 2 – 2 Jesus

This Cuppers encounter was billed as a double header, as both sides were running out of weekends to complete their remaining fixtures. Although Jesus advanced in Cuppers, thanks to extra-time goals from Laakso and Avery; it was agreed in advance that the league result would be the full-time score-line. For the full match report click here.

Trinity P – P Girton