May Balls Up

By on

Confusion has struck the planning of many May Balls, with a number of colleges choosing identical themes.

The announcement of Christ’s Parisian-themed ‘L’Espirit Nouveau’ caused panic amongst the Robinson May Ball committee, who are believed to have chosen an identical theme.

According to an inside source, they are considering changing it before the launch party on Friday.

And they are not the only colleges to come unstuck this week.

It has emerged that both Jesus and Newnham have chosen ‘Circus’ for their May Week events.

Homerton were also planning a big top extravaganza, before switching their June Event to ‘Carnival’ at the last minute, allegedly after pressure from Jesus.

“It’s pretty annoying”, said Justin Wolf, Homerton Ents Officer.

“The posters were at the printers, and we had to scrap a number of design ideas.

I’m sure Jesus stole our theme, but we’re confident that Carnival will still be one of the best events in May Week.”

Homerton have also taken the unprecedented step of hosting an event on Thursday, to avoid clashes with St. Catz, King’s, Pembroke, Sidney Sussex and Tit Hall.

Of the other themes that have been announced, perhaps the best is St. Catz’s ‘Make Believe’.

Emmanuel have settled for ‘Hollywood’, after last year’s ‘Empire’ provoked accusations of racism.

A satirical Facebook group, ‘Emma against Hollywood’, so far only has 38 members.

• julirah

why would jesus steal a theme from a B list college like homerton?

• bobes

homerton is so far below b-list

• honestly

i'd take a fun may ball at homerton over one at either of your undoubtedly snobbish, stuck-up colleges anyday.

• mayballz

is actually it a college yet?

• Detests you

enough of your shite

• Pingback: May Balls Up « THE TAB – – All the latest … University Intro()

• Eamonn

Because all the Homerton girls are awesome

• Sam

Homerton aren't going to allow their students residency during may week anyway, which is the only reason why they've taken the 'unprecedented step' of moving their event to Thursday. Bye Bye hungover almost-Cantabridgians on Friday Morning.

• Violet

Uh Homerton students already have residency for may week for this year and I think you'll notice that their event's happening on the Thursday during May week, not the Thursday before…nice if people can read!

• Pingback: May Ball Me: Essential Information. « THE TAB – – All the latest Cambridge University news online()

• violet is a cunt

who the fuck are homerton?

• Peter

How about they are all stealing John's June ent from last year?

• Redboy

Homerton's not a PROPER college – unlike John's.

• Chief Historian

I believe a "Homerton" is an ancient farming technique prevalent in Eastern Europe during the pre-modern period. It gradually fell out of use as farmers began to realise that it was actively killing, rather than nurturing, their potato crops.

• Sammy

John's June Ent was shit last year, why would anyone copy it?

(John's student)

• more drama

Don't forget it's not just Homerton and Jesus, but also Newnham. Newnham launched first in the 1st week of lent term : cirque du soir, so they've all stolen that theme because it's just a june event.

• cantab

if anything, Circus is just a bit of a cliché.

gd job homerton and robinson chose new themes. bit of originality …

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Police crash Peterhouse JCR Christmas Party after drunk fresher smashes window

They asked people to come forward or they would personally inspect everyone

By on

Vote Now: Cambridge’s Best Bums 2015

All bums are equal, but some are more equal than others. Help us choose which ones.

By on

Why do girls love calling each other sluts?

The week 8 ADC late show Girls Like That follows a group of girls and explores the toxic, social-media dominated world we grow up in.

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s more important: Face or body?

Pretty face, average bod > average face, fit bod

By and on

What is the best all-girls school in the country?

‘Millie can I borrow a tampon?’

By , Contributing Editor on

All things considered, doing DofE Gold is quite weird

So many blisters

By on

London’s plubs are the best thing about UK nightlife right now

(It’s a pub and a club mixed together)

By , Contributing Editor on

We asked guys whether they prefer thongs or french knickers

The finer things in life

By , Chief Reporter on

Your gluten free diet is killing the wheat industry

Bread just makes me bloat