May Balls Up

Confusion has struck the planning of many May Balls, with a number of colleges choosing identical themes.

Alasdair Pal christs Homerton jesus june event May Ball Newnham Robinson

The announcement of Christ’s Parisian-themed ‘L’Espirit Nouveau’ caused panic amongst the Robinson May Ball committee, who are believed to have chosen an identical theme.

According to an inside source, they are considering changing it before the launch party on Friday.

And they are not the only colleges to come unstuck this week.

It has emerged that both Jesus and Newnham have chosen ‘Circus’ for their May Week events.

Homerton were also planning a big top extravaganza, before switching their June Event to ‘Carnival’ at the last minute, allegedly after pressure from Jesus.

“It’s pretty annoying”, said Justin Wolf, Homerton Ents Officer.

“The posters were at the printers, and we had to scrap a number of design ideas.

I’m sure Jesus stole our theme, but we’re confident that Carnival will still be one of the best events in May Week.”

Homerton have also taken the unprecedented step of hosting an event on Thursday, to avoid clashes with St. Catz, King’s, Pembroke, Sidney Sussex and Tit Hall.

Of the other themes that have been announced, perhaps the best is St. Catz’s ‘Make Believe’.

Emmanuel have settled for ‘Hollywood’, after last year’s ‘Empire’ provoked accusations of racism.

A satirical Facebook group, ‘Emma against Hollywood’, so far only has 38 members.