The College Cup: Revealed

For weeks The Tab has been calculating which is Cambridge’s sportiest college. The results are now in. Click here for the definitive table…

College Cup downing fairbairns football Hockey jesus johns Netball novices Queens' Rowing Rugby Trinity

Two days ago we announced The Tab‘s College Cup. Since then, we’ve been busy tweaking it and getting it ready for public viewing. We’re finally there.

Now, for the first time, we can exclusively reveal the results of our pain-staking analysis and settle the debate about which college was Michaelmas’ sportiest.

So, without further ado, here are the top 5:

Rank College Rowing Rugby Football Netball Hockey Total
1 Downing 198 48 60 90 60 456
2 Trinity 173 36 51 24 30 314
3 Jesus 66 48 37 42 57 250
4 John’s 74 72 24 24 54 248
5 Queens’ 120 42 18 36 30 246

For the full table, along with an explanation of how the points were allocated, click here.

5 of the best:

Michaelmas Term’s table-toppers Downing led the pack by a country mile. This will come as no surprise to anyone who followed college sport last term. Downing teams sat astride Division 1 of Football and Netball, their rowers excelled and they fielded successful Division 1 teams in Rugby and Hockey. Downing JCR President Katie Marshall was delighted with her college’s latest accolade, commenting “Downing domination. What more did you expect?“.

Trinity reap the rewards of having a successful Boat Club, taking more than half of their points from their performances on the river. First and Third put in an excellent showing at Fairbairn’s; their W1, in particular, was outstanding on the river. Their first XI football also performed well, finishing the term just behind Downing in Division 1.

Only four points separate the remaining 3 colleges in the top 5:

Jesus come out narrowly on top, boosted by a strong showing across the board – other than Downing, they are the only college to field Division 1 teams in all the league sports counted. Jesus’ usually reliable Boat Club flopped in Michaelmas; only their Novice W1 emerging with any real credit.

John’s take a disappointing fourth place, proving that the Red Boys alone do not a sporting college make, irrespective of what the members of SJCRUFC might claim. An outraged Johnian Rugby player had this to say “this is an absolute farce. Rugby’s the only sport anyone gives a toss about“. Good effort from the LMBC novices though.

Queens’ fifth-place position is built on a superb term for their M1, whose wins in Fairbairn’s and Uni IV’s (tied with Downing) mask a generally average showing from their students, Division 2 leaders QCRUFC excepted.

5 of the rest:

Murray Edwards – The college formerly known as New Hall comes in at a brilliant 16th place, putting the 15 colleges beneath them to shame. Even though they can’t compete in Rugby, Football or half of the Rowing competitions in Michaelmas term, the strength of their Hockey team somehow still places them higher than mixed colleges like Magdalene and Clare. Samuel Pepys is probably turning in his grave.

King’s – Great for choral scholars, pretty budget for sportspeople. Unless you’re a boatie.

Homerton – Despite having the largest student population of any of the Cambridge colleges and counting a Luxembourg Rugby International among its sporting stars, Homerton still fails to make it into The Tab’s top 20. Poor effort.

Peterhouse – Pathetic Peterhouse are the lowest-placed undergraduate college. Despite being the University’s oldest collegiate institution, Peterhouse can hardly field a full side in any team sport – their first XI doesn’t even make it into Division 3. Perhaps they should spend less time at candlelit dinnersand more time outdoors…

Clare Hall – Nul points. Oh dear.

For those of you who feel your college has been unfairly treated or were banking on a win or two in Cuppers to boost you up the table, never fear. The College Cup will be returning at the end of Lent Term, when the colleges supplying the university teams with talent last term will be boosted by the return of their Blues heroes…